drm question

IBOC, HD Radio, FM eXtra, DRM, Importers, Exporters, Exgines...digital radio spoken here!
am1430

drm question

Post by am1430 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:30 am

Hi to all of my engineer friends!

I thought I would post this here instead of in the am section. Ive seen and read about DRM and how its an open source and compatible with AM. My question is if an AM station wanted to do this, would they need special permission from the FCC? What do you think would be the expense for transmitters/receivers? With proper programing would people care? With so many small AM station's that are either dark or just trying to stay alive, I would think there might be some that would like to try this out instead of the IBOC version. The DRM website really didnt say if this was allowed by the FCC. Thanks for the comments..Id sure like to hear a station that is broadcasting in DRM on the AM band!

w9wi

Re: drm question

Post by w9wi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:09 am

am1430 wrote:Hi to all of my engineer friends!

I thought I would post this here instead of in the am section. Ive seen and read about DRM and how its an open source and compatible with AM. My question is if an AM station wanted to do this, would they need special permission from the FCC? What do you think would be the expense for transmitters/receivers? With proper programing would people care? With so many small AM station's that are either dark or just trying to stay alive, I would think there might be some that would like to try this out instead of the IBOC version. The DRM website really didnt say if this was allowed by the FCC. Thanks for the comments..Id sure like to hear a station that is broadcasting in DRM on the AM band!
IMHO the biggest problem you'd have is a near complete lack of DRM receivers.

A fairly close second would be that, by my understanding, DRM has no hybrid mode. Unlike IBOC, with DRM you cannot operate analog and digital at the same time. When you activate DRM on your AM station, you lose the analog signal -- and with it, essentially all of your audience.

I would suggest the fact that the FCC doesn't authorize DRM wouldn't come up until 3rd place(grin). (I suspect a well-worded request for Special Temporary Authority would be granted, if you could show the DRM signals fit within the analog emission mask. I'm not familiar enough with the technology to know whether it does...)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

RFWarrior

Post by RFWarrior » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:48 am

Doug hit everything I would have mentioned - except that DRM receivers are fairly available through European suppliers, since it's used a fair bit over there. Not aware of any North American retailers that carry DRM radios at the moment, though.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Welton
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:44 am

I'd bet that there are more DRM receivers in regular use than IBOC... 8) :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

RFWarrior

Post by RFWarrior » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Tough call. If it wasn't for all the shortwave stations running DRM, I'd say probably not, but that alone probably sold several hundred thousand DRM receivers. The cool thing about them is that you can get software only receivers that work with your sound card - they require a tuner front end, but then you can get OTA radio on your PC... kinda cool (of course, I'm easily amused!).

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Welton
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Not only is he easily amused, but you outta see his computer (brain) lock up when you slide a Cherry Kringle under his nose. His eyes glaze, roll over and he starts chanting - "coffee-coffee-coffee". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry for the thread derail, but I really hat to see an opportunity slip by.

Fossil