PRESS Communications files a press release against HD radio

IBOC, HD Radio, FM eXtra, DRM, Importers, Exporters, Exgines...digital radio spoken here!
NECRAT
Site Admin

PRESS Communications files a press release against HD radio

Post by NECRAT » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Another one of these guys comes out of the woodwork.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/ ... 7020503674

I can't take these very seriously, as again, there are no hard facts in the statement to back up the accusations.

One of the lines states, about moving digital FM to "... white space on Vacated channels 5 & 6". It should be worth noting that the majority of the Press radio stations fall within the city grade contour of WPVI-DT., which happens to be on VHF 6.

:roll:
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Kelly

Re: PRESS Communications files a press release against HD ra

Post by Kelly » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:39 am

My first thought was whether the average consumer or even traditional media could care less about someone sending out a press release for or against HD Radio. Frankly, 99.98% of the general domestic population doesn't know nor care about HD Radio, so why would they care about an anti-HD Radio press release?

In the non-broadcasting real world of consumers, if reception is not acceptable most people just change the station or hook up their MP3 player. It's not like they say.."Oh man, that HD Radio is really screwing up my ability to hear my favorite station!" In a 'I-want-what-I-want-when-I want-it' world, there are plenty of other options. Unless you're male, over 60 and you can't hear Rush Limbaugh, nobody cares.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Kelly wrote: Frankly, 99.98% of the general domestic population doesn't know nor care about HD Radio
Can you back that number with actual facts or is that just a "general assumption" ?
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:40 am

The last figures I saw on the subject came about a year ago and were published in Radio World. Based on those, my number was a little generous. Radio World listed year three HD Radio consumer acceptance at 1.1%. A year later, less than one percent, I believe .9%?

Personally I'm neither a pro nor against HD Radio. What I will say, purely based on my observation and opinion, broadcasters have taken a somewhat myopic approach to promoting HD radio by themselves. Using vague, cryptic spots in open inventory have yet to move a needle in aftermarket sales nor auto manufacturers. Ask most consumers on the street who are not hobbyists nor employed in radio what HD Radio is, chances are you'll get a blank stare or that they've heard of HDTV or Satellite Radio. Clearly promotion of HD Radio hasn't worked so far, either that or consumers just don't care. To date, has any HD Radio content come up in PPM ratings? Not that I've heard of.

Again speaking from a personal perspective, my girlfriend asked me the other day to disable HDR in my car. She was driving it to work and found the seemingly constant switch from analog to HD and back intolerable. Clearly beyond the lackluster marketing of the media, there are some technical/coverage kinks to work out before HD Radio is ready for primetime. The question really is; as other forms of media or technology continue to appear, is it too late to salvage HD Radio?