Album Art - HD

IBOC, HD Radio, FM eXtra, DRM, Importers, Exporters, Exgines...digital radio spoken here!
NECRAT
Site Admin

Album Art - HD

Post by NECRAT » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:18 pm

OK, you gurus with the HD radio. How are stations doing the Album Art via HD?
Do you use a special audio server to output the metadata to the importer?
Is there another way it is done?

Also do you need a different ibiquity license to do it?

The Album Art on HD display is one of the more cool things i've seen come along in radio in quite some time.
(I wish more stations would pick it up...)
The tech in me, wants to know how it works.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: Album Art - HD

Post by BroadcastDoc » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Essentially you have an intermediary PSD (Program Service Data) computer that aggregates and formats the metadata for Now Playing, Tagging, and Album Art and sends it off to the exporter. The secret sauce happens in the PSD computer - the service is "branded" as Artist Experience.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Do you have to buy a different license to use it?

Does the PSD go before the Importer or between the Importer and Exporter? (Or do both machines feed the Exporter?)

Also is the data for the graphic constant or does it only come on at the start of a song?
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 am

Right now, title and artist PSD for the main channel is generated separately and fed directly to the exporter. Any additional PSD and services are generated at the importer. Essentially, if you're doing single channel HD with PSD, you only need an exporter.

I'm not positive how they do cover art - if it's in the same channel as the main channel PSD, I'd imagine that it's fed directly into the exporter. However, if it requires an SPS (supplemental) channel, then an importer would be required. I'd think that it's probably done on an SPS channel to allow for a higher data rate which would allow the art to be sent continuously.

Now I'm curious - I'll do some digging and find out for sure!
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

eadler

Post by eadler » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Chris - with the last Importer update we did, we got some added 'data' applications installed (beyond the "Capture Client"s) that I would presume are for doing this kind of thing. I haven't had reason or chance to play with them yet.
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler