How many AM's in your area have dropped HD?

IBOC, HD Radio, FM eXtra, DRM, Importers, Exporters, Exgines...digital radio spoken here!
RodeoJack

Re: How many AM's in your area have dropped HD?

Post by RodeoJack » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:32 am

sallen wrote:In Seattle the ex Disney station on 1250 turned it off a while ago (5KW).
Took a tour of the day site when it looked like the local ESPN Deportes group might buy it. Everything is still there, but Disney's corporate engineer said something went wrong with the exciter and they just left it off.

1240 (Olympia) regained several miles worth of coverage when that happened.

sallen

Post by sallen » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:51 am

Did 1250 still have the old Collins 5kw plate rig there? it was in OK shape. The exciter crapping out is the same reason KHHO stopped IBOC they use a DX-10. I have talked to several engineers that were running IBOC and the main reason for turning it off was Exciter failure. The NX-50 that I babysit has only been running IBOC for 1.5 years. We will have to see if it makes it past 5 years without an Exciter failure.

Just curious was the KKDZ transmitter a Gates/Harris/Gates-air make?

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:35 pm

One station in CT also gave up on IBOC when their DeathStar died. They are running a Harris DAX transmitter.

Bob M.

COMMENG

Post by COMMENG » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Our local 5kW regional gave it up after three exciter failures as well.

The Buzzsaw is finally dead.

However, we have to investigate a second harmonic spur that popped up out of the blue.

COMMENG

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Was it right after a storm the harmonic suddenly appeared?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:31 pm

sallen wrote:Did 1250 still have the old Collins 5kw plate rig there? it was in OK shape. The exciter crapping out is the same reason KHHO stopped IBOC they use a DX-10. I have talked to several engineers that were running IBOC and the main reason for turning it off was Exciter failure. The NX-50 that I babysit has only been running IBOC for 1.5 years. We will have to see if it makes it past 5 years without an Exciter failure.

Just curious was the KKDZ transmitter a Gates/Harris/Gates-air make?
KKDZ 1250 KHz was running two Nautel ND5's for several years. One at the day and one at the night. Since their night site burned up in a fire and then sold to build a housing development, they have been operating on an STA from their day site.'

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:06 pm

Sorry... just saw this.

1250 installed an XR6 when they went IBOC. The ND5 is still there and works well, though the IBOC doesn't run through it. Kintronic switch, dummy load to the un-selected xmtr, interlocks connected.

Nice setup... very clean when I saw it. Jim's been taking good care of it.

Whatever they had before the ND5 has been removed.

BTW... I have a DX-10 in E. Wa. Other than one human-caused failure and an MOV burnout that took it down, it's been a very good transmitter.