Network Cards and Streaming

A place to discuss Webcasting
Deep Thought

Re: Network Cards and Streaming

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:43 pm

freeby78 wrote:It sounds to me like you are experiencing packet loss or jitter on the cable ISP connection. {} Your NIC and LAN with 1,000,000 kbps of throughput is not the bottle neck.
I agree that his LAN is not the bottleneck, but if you saturate the uplink side of any asymmetrical connection you're going to get bogus readings on a ping test due to ACK packets contending for timeslots even if there is nothing else going on on the downlink side. This is not limited to cable connections. Having said that, any consumer broadband connection is going to be a crapshoot quality-wise if you get anywhere near the bitrate limits on either side. This is why the cable companies advertising 50 or 100 megabit connections is such a joke when paired with a 1 megabit upload.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:03 pm

I now have a 50mb DL and 5mb UL connection now from cable connection. I would love to see how I get it to max out at 192k. I am up at 128k on all 3 streams for now. No problems not yet with the 3 stations. So not sure what else I can do!

eadler

Post by eadler » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:21 am

Also note that your ISP connection may have a packet rate limit that, when sending packets smaller than the MTU is going to make your available bandwidth much lower.
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:07 pm

eadler wrote:Also note that your ISP connection may have a packet rate limit that, when sending packets smaller than the MTU is going to make your available bandwidth much lower.
Well I see the MTU is 1500 on all my machines so not sure what else I could do. I know a P3 866 Mhz with 512mb of ram is not going to take Win 7 like I would love to use and get everything up to date and off XP.