Network Cards and Streaming

A place to discuss Webcasting
bogointeractive

Network Cards and Streaming

Post by bogointeractive » Wed May 18, 2011 7:50 pm

OK I have my little p3 866mhz Windows XP Pro 512mb RAM running two streams on my 15mb down and 1mb up cable connection. I have all gigabit except from the modem to the router and out to cable. So with the two streams I have now are running out one gigabit network card. I am wondering if I add another one or use the onboard 100mb card that is in the PC is there a way to bundle it for more bandwidth to the router?

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: Network Cards and Streaming

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed May 18, 2011 8:24 pm

What do you need the bandwidth for? Even a 10/100 card is sending data to your modem faster than it can process it!
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Wed May 18, 2011 10:13 pm

Well the more bandwidth I can get up, the less lag I would think. I would think also that it would make it easier for me moving files and moving things around on the internal network like music and the so forth.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed May 18, 2011 10:28 pm

If you want proof of what Doc is saying crank up task manager and go look at what the network utilization is. It'll be less than 10% while the modem is choking on the upload encoding, and it is almost impossible to saturate a gigabit connection with one computer connection unless they have server-class NICs, and even then it is unlikely with a P3. The I/O bus doesn't run anywhere near that fast.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Wed May 18, 2011 10:32 pm

I get all that but again I want to make sure there is no choking of it. Because I want to add a 3rd stream to this PC but not sure if it will accept it. and I do not want to over kill that nic.

Deep Thought wrote:If you want proof of what Doc is saying crank up task manager and go look at what the network utilization is. It'll be less than 10% while the modem is choking on the upload encoding, and it is almost impossible to saturate a gigabit connection with one computer connection unless they have server-class NICs, and even then it is unlikely with a P3. The I/O bus doesn't run anywhere near that fast.

techboywi

Post by techboywi » Thu May 19, 2011 8:52 am

bogointeractive wrote:I get all that but again I want to make sure there is no choking of it. Because I want to add a 3rd stream to this PC but not sure if it will accept it. and I do not want to over kill that nic.
That is highly unlikely...especially since you have a gigabit NIC in there already. Unless you plan on moving alot of big files on a regular basis, I think you will be OK
Bob Colon
http://www.bobs-world.net (personal site)
http://www.facebook.com/techguy1975 (Facebook page)
Twitter:techguytn1975
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"--James Dean

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Thu May 19, 2011 10:19 am

OK but do you think I could run a 3rd stream on there and not gobble up my bandwidth from the cable company.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Thu May 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Are you feeding a relay (like Shoutcast) or are you originating all connections from that computer?

If you start driving the upload channel continuously you'll get a nastygram from the cable company unless you are on a business plan. How many connections (listeners) do you have at a time?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Thu May 19, 2011 7:13 pm

So far cable company has not had issue since the lines are leased from them through my ISP. So far so good on that point. I am I am feeding a relay icecast is one and shoutcast is the other. So they are OK. I am sure it noticed but until they say stop, I will be fine. I mean the upload speed seems OK and that I don't use it all so not worried, yet. I just want to make sure that I can do the 3rd stream with that computer. Mainly right now listeners are low. I mean sure they come and go but they dont hit my server they hit whom ever sends the stream out like live365.com so all I am doing is uplinking to them.

Deep Thought wrote:Are you feeding a relay (like Shoutcast) or are you originating all connections from that computer?

If you start driving the upload channel continuously you'll get a nastygram from the cable company unless you are on a business plan. How many connections (listeners) do you have at a time?

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Thu May 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Then I'm not really sure why you are worried about this. Even a 450 MHz PII can handle three streams.

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Thu May 19, 2011 10:41 pm

OK I will try it, but I just think the streams might suffer.
Deep Thought wrote:Then I'm not really sure why you are worried about this. Even a 450 MHz PII can handle three streams.

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Sun May 22, 2011 7:29 pm

So far it seems I am almost right. That my 3 streams I have running are suffering. It seems that a 1GB card is not enough for this. I am using a 192 based free service and so far it is choking out. from my home in Nebraska to Dallas.

bogointeractive wrote:OK I will try it, but I just think the streams might suffer.
Deep Thought wrote:Then I'm not really sure why you are worried about this. Even a 450 MHz PII can handle three streams.

Tim Burke
Forum Jedi

Post by Tim Burke » Mon May 23, 2011 3:31 pm

bogointeractive wrote:So far it seems I am almost right. That my 3 streams I have running are suffering. It seems that a 1GB card is not enough for this. I am using a 192 based free service and so far it is choking out. from my home in Nebraska to Dallas.
As I've run multiple streams off of a 6/768 DSL connection in the past, I'm inclined to think that it's most likely the streaming service that you're using. Since it's a free service, there's no guarantee of the quality. Check out a professional stream host, i.e. http://viastreaming.net -- they've been pretty good in the dealings I've had with them.

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Mon May 23, 2011 4:02 pm

I am using http://cloudbroadcaster.com which has a free shoutcast server. It is nice. It allows 192kb. I had 2 of them running plus a live365 connection and my pc or the network was choking big time. I mean I was trying to listen to it on my PC in the other room and it would skip and jump all over the place. I took it back to 2 for now. I mean for a p3 866Mhz 512 RAM Windows XP Pro PC it is not bad to have 2 running. Just want to get a 3rd 4th etc up sooner. I mean I am using radiodj from http://www.radiodj.ro and the programs seem solid each with their own MySQL Database. Also, It might be the throughput of the NIC or something is lagging.

Tim Burke wrote:
bogointeractive wrote:So far it seems I am almost right. That my 3 streams I have running are suffering. It seems that a 1GB card is not enough for this. I am using a 192 based free service and so far it is choking out. from my home in Nebraska to Dallas.
As I've run multiple streams off of a 6/768 DSL connection in the past, I'm inclined to think that it's most likely the streaming service that you're using. Since it's a free service, there's no guarantee of the quality. Check out a professional stream host, i.e. http://viastreaming.net -- they've been pretty good in the dealings I've had with them.

freeby78

Post by freeby78 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 pm

It sounds to me like you are experiencing packet loss or jitter on the cable ISP connection. Even though you may be quoted a 1 Mbps upload, Cable networks don't guarantee bitrate and latency on consumer connections. So running 2 x192kbps works fine, but going up to 3 x 192kbps is getting into the zone where all of your packets aren't being delivered as quickly and reliably as you need. For example, when I've maxed out my cable ISP upstream bandwidth (also 1 Mbps), running a ping -t test shows that I'm getting 100-500ms of delay on each packet. That much jitter (time variance between each packet's arrival) will blow an audio stream out of the water. Your NIC and LAN with 1,000,000 kbps of throughput is not the bottle neck.