Skype and Matrox

A place to discuss Webcasting
nrussellweht

Skype and Matrox

Post by nrussellweht » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 pm

My station is starting to use Skype more often and we purchased this product: http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products ... nvert_dvi/

We have been using a laptop to do live shots and what not. I wanted to see what your station has setup for skype shots? Can you give me ideas on what kind of

I might need to get for a permanent setup?

Thanks

Nate

w9wi

Re: Skype and Matrox

Post by w9wi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Matrox was at our SBE meeting here in Nashville last week pushing these. Actually, they didn't get much of a chance, channel 5's CE was too busy gushing over the thing( :D )

Seriously, it looked pretty good from here.

Note that it will also do audio, and will embed it in the HD/SD-SDI output.

Note also that you need a $500 option if you want it to *upscale*, to take a less-than-480i window & upscale it to SD. (or a less-than-720/1080 window & upscale to HD)

What we're actually using... are two old weather graphics systems with internal HD-SDI output boards...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:58 am

The experience i've had with Matrox cards, is you have to do a excellent job of keeping them cool, or else they start acting funky. And a lot of PCs are just not good at cooling PCI or motherboard attached cards/

W9WI will remember the Inscriber Name Dropper series PCs and their horrible cooling design. (We heavily modified ours to keep it happy....)

The CoolTV server uses Matrox cards and it seems to be working fine, in a room we keep around 66° (which, outside of the noise factor, is my favorite room this time of year!)
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:20 am

NECRAT wrote:The experience i've had with Matrox cards, is you have to do a excellent job of keeping them cool, or else they start acting funky. And a lot of PCs are just not good at cooling PCI or motherboard attached cards/

W9WI will remember the Inscriber Name Dropper series PCs and their horrible cooling design. (We heavily modified ours to keep it happy....)

The CoolTV server uses Matrox cards and it seems to be working fine, in a room we keep around 66° (which, outside of the noise factor, is my favorite room this time of year!)
Actually, my least-fond memory of the Inscriber Namedropper is the heavy front door falling on my head..... We only lost one Matrox card, but we had plenty of other issues.

The device Nate is looking at is an external device, not dependent on the PC for cooling. I didn't think to feel it at the SBE meeting.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

wb9fhr

Post by wb9fhr » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:00 pm

I've got 3 of the Matrox Convert + (plus) units. You want the PLUS version with region of interest. They work as advertised. I have one in each edit suite feeding master as well as one not yet installed for some computer TBD in Master. Production people like them.
This is a LP spanish, so not much $ for equipment. They use them for You Tube & Skype. But I can think of more uses for streaming IP sources to air.

Dave Janzer
Milwaukee Wi