Newbie question on internet streaming

A place to discuss Webcasting
slaction

Newbie question on internet streaming

Post by slaction » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:09 pm

First off I just want to apologize if this has been covered a bunch of times before. I'm new to this so honestly I don't even know what terms to search for to find an answer.

A friend of mine has a local TV station here in the states. It's a small low power station reaching a few hundred thousand people.

He is looking to stream his content to the internet without a heave restrictions on the number of people who can view the stream at a given time. Just based on his coverage, there won't be many people streaming at once, but we'd like to get it so it can support hundreds at least.

I'm a website designer and have background in video work, but broadcast tv is totally new to me. We aren't looking for a totally free solution, but being a small station, he doesn't have a huge budget either.

So my question is pretty simple, but I'm assuming the answer might be more complex. How can we take his broadcast content, that is being aired on the station and put it online to be viewed? I've found a lot of services for streaming content online, but none of it seems to tie in with the TV broadcast aspect of our situation.

I'd really appreciate any assistance on the topic or even to be pointed in the direction of some more information on what we're trying to do. As I mentioned, I'm not looking for a handout, I just don't really know what I'm supposed to be searching for.

Thanks in advance.

Hamster

Re: Newbie question on internet streaming

Post by Hamster » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:23 am

You can do this with a dedicated Linux server, it shouldn't be too difficult

TvRadioGuy

Re: Newbie question on internet streaming

Post by TvRadioGuy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Unless you have a large IP Pipe for 1000 people to stream on it will not be cost effective with all of the gear that you will need to keep the stream up and running also you have to manage it for viruses and trojans 24-7. if not you will be down every day. You will need Firewalls and a good computer that can take the hits that you will be getting from outside traffic trying to get in. You can get some free stuff like shoutcast but you will spend hours trying to get it to work and you will be pulling your hair out. Look into services that you can gradually pay a nominal fee. Then scale up as you need more bandwidth. Pick the best on that fits your budget and your needs and have support that will be there when you go down because when you least expect it it will happen.

Good luck with your project I hope some of this info helps.