Using JACK as a router

A place to discuss Webcasting
Baylink

Using JACK as a router

Post by Baylink » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:05 am

As I progress down the road of assembling pieces for Radio-In-A-Box, it occurs to me to wonder if -- given how JACK works to patch together the pieces of your audio stack, if anyone's done control software for it that just looks like an X/Y router control panel. All the destinations across rows, and all the sources down columns.

Anyone know?

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: Using JACK as a router

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Hmm. I seem to remember that Jack has something not-so-intuitive built-in, but I haven't seen a matrix switcher. If I remember, I'll ask my Linux audio guru about it. He built me a nice skimmer using Jack as the audio control for the sound card.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Cool. I've seen some control app that lets you draw lines from outs to ins, so I assume it's possible to build something that just looks like a router panel, but I don't know the GUI stuff well enough to do it.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Yep - that's the GUI we're using. You "draw" the line from source to destination.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

themarcshow

Post by themarcshow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:52 am

Doc,
Any chance you could get a little tutorial up about what your Linux guru did to build the Jack audio skimmer?

I've got a Ubuntu computer sitting in my engineering room I'd love to use as an audio skimmer. I've downloaded Rotter http://www.aelius.com/njh/rotter/ but have no idea how to make it work.

Not sure if that's what you are using but I'd love to know how you're doing it.

Thanks
Brad Beahm
Operations Manager Platte River Radio
Hastings, Ne
kd0jct