Mobile Streaming scaling comment on TWiRT

A place to discuss Webcasting
psmerdon

Mobile Streaming scaling comment on TWiRT

Post by psmerdon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 pm

I heard a sobering statistic on a recent episode of Kirk Harnack's This Week in Radio Tech (starring our own Chris Tarr!)

It was on the subject of the effect of the inclusion of LTE connectivity in cars, and the effect of that on in-car radio listening.
It was along the lines that the LTE infrastructure now being rolled out could only support the bandwidth for a fraction of the number of current radio listeners.

Unfortunately I can't recall the exact numbers, but it was something like 20,000 max (total) against in-car listening of, say 300,000 for a *single* station.
I'd like to find the original source, so I can get an exact quote.

Can anyone point me to the particular episode?

Thanks,
Peter Smerdon
Melbourne, Australia

Baylink

Re: Mobile Streaming scaling comment on TWiRT

Post by Baylink » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:05 pm

I'm going to go look it up myself, but that's not the problem with streaming replacing actual broadcasting.

The problem -- the dirty little secret -- is *complexity*.

You don't have to do viewer technical support on broadcasting.

Speaking as someone with close to three decades on the IP side of the line, working with some fairly sizable networks, I can tell you that even if you can manage to get wide-area IP multicast working (and I've heard relatively creditable arguments that you can't), the complexity in the transport channel from master control to the viewer's device is 4 to 6 orders of magnitude higher than it is in current broadcasting systems, even if you include satellites and CATV.

The reason for that is that there's active, important, saved state in most of the devices along the way, and there are lots of devices along the way.

It's a great secondary service, but anyone who's telling you that the current generation build of the Internet can be a 100.0% primary service replacement for traditional broadcasting is trying to sell you something. And, alas, they're trying to sell you something that won't work, in the worst possible way, at the worst possible time.

"And he's at the 40... the 30... the 20; this will be the Super Bowl, folks! ... the 10... [buffering]"

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:37 am

Baylink wrote:"And he's at the 40... the 30... the 20; this will be the Super Bowl, folks! ... the 10... [buffering]"
Ah. So digital OTA TV. Gotcha.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:35 am

Smartass. :-)

I don't have a lot of experience with ATSC OTA, though I know crappy cable systems can have problems.