Is there a sport audio mixer?

A place to discuss Webcasting
ingeborgdot

Is there a sport audio mixer?

Post by ingeborgdot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:40 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is actually a mixer that works in a sports setting? What I am looking for would be a mixer that would have the analyst have headphones that had the audio of the game in one ear but in the other ear a spotter tells them what is going on. It would be great to have 3 or 4 headphones jacks if possible. One for each analyst. We may have one or two. One for the spotter so he or she can relay info to the analyst. One for the camera man if that is possible. We are all somewhat new to this so any advice would be appreciated.
Our scenario is we will be streaming football games live and want it to be as professional as possible. Here is our setup to this point. Our camera has an HDMI out which we will be sending to an Altona HD-530 that we will be purchasing in the near future. The HDMI will then be output to a 23" monitor that the main camera man will be using to see a larger picture. From the Altona HD-530 we will then take composite out into a laptop (or Tricaster 40 later in the year maybe) that will be the AV that is being streamed.
The mixer part would be on its own. Does it even make sense as to what I am trying to do with the mixer?

Baylink

Re: Is there a sport audio mixer?

Post by Baylink » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:42 pm

The mixer *will* be on its own*; what you're going to want is what the live reinforcement guys call a "monitor" mixer; each input channel has 8 or 16 main outs, which are bussed, so with a 16x16 monitor mixer you'll be able to feed up to 16 sources to either earpiece of 8 headsets -- though you will need headphone driver amps; I don't think you'll get enough level out of the mixer itself.

The problem is that monitor mixers are *high-end* gear; I don't think places like Musicians Friend and such even list them; I wouldn't expect to be much below 5 grand for a sizable one. Lemme see....

Here's an Allen & Heath 16x12, which -- I'm wrong -- MF does stock; they want, oh, 2 grand for it; that's not bad...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... itor-mixer

Note that this will *not* get you IFB; you'll have to make further arrangements for that somehow.

ingeborgdot

Post by ingeborgdot » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:10 pm

That's more than we want to pay. I was not sure what something would cost to get that done. I wonder if there is a way we can improvise and just have a mic from the one spotter we will have to the ear of the analyst. That is all we will really need. The distance between them will not be too great. I will have to think about it. Any ideas? Thanks for the input.

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:59 pm

If I am understanding this correctly, you should be able to set up an off-line spotter feed with any garden-variety Mackie or similar mixer. You could use the aux send features for this, or even get creative with the input fader pan controls, if you don't need the audio to be in stereo. I set up the spotter thing years ago while doing high-school football games, using an ordinary Yamaha DJ-type mixer.

I have used a Rane HC-6 headphone amp to set up custom headphone feeds, where say the talent needs to hear a mix of program and spotter/IFB, and guests need just straight program.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:30 pm

awsherrill wrote:If I am understanding this correctly, you should be able to set up an off-line spotter feed with any garden-variety Mackie or similar mixer.
A friend uses a small Mackie to do Big 10 varsity sports for the school's network and has set it up exactly like that. No need to spend for 5 large on a concert sound reinforcement stage console.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:54 am

Well, no, now that the requirement has been redefined to be Something Teeny, rather than Something Sizable, as it was in the initial message to which I was replying. ;-)

ingeborgdot

Post by ingeborgdot » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:05 am

And thanks for your input. That may be something we do though, down the road, so I appreciate your input. Someone had told me that they thought to do it your way would not cost much. I think they may have been talking from past experience from many years ago. I really just wanted to check to see what it would take and what it would cost and you showed me that. Thanks again. I know size matters and the size of yours was much bigger than the size of his. :D
Last edited by ingeborgdot on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:52 am

Hee.

FWIW, that's a *new* board, from *Allen and Heath*. The odds are decent you could do it quite a bit cheaper than that if you shopped.

And, of course, that's sort of assuming there's *routing* involved; if every spotter is a direct connect to one announcer, the problem is much easier.

On reflection, the *easiest* way to do it might actually be to find a used audio routing switch, and set that up, with preamps for the spotter headset mics, and headset amps for the earpieces; then each announcer could pick a collection of sources for each ear. The only thing that would be hard then is *differential* volume between sources in one ear, and I don't know if that would matter -- you're effectively building a big stereo IFB system at this point -- which you need anyway, since the program audio and director need to be able to be in their ears too.

Given the price of used audio routers, this might not be too pricey, either.