Acceptable streaming bitrates

A place to discuss Webcasting
ScottColombe

Acceptable streaming bitrates

Post by ScottColombe » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Hello, question for the braintrust. the terrestrial AM station I work at is streaming the programming at 56k wma. Just wondering if this an acceptable bitrate for desktop streaming (our site currently does not support streaming to mobile.) Our current encoder is a pc running Broadwave Audio Streaming Server.

I should note that I am not the individual in charge of streaming dcisions but do believe in trying to maximize ROI.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Colombe

Deep Thought

Re: Acceptable streaming bitrates

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:24 pm

For mono 56k isn't horrible (it ain't great either but it is better than XM and "HD" radio). If you're running stereo it is probably a bit crunchy. If you can't deal with the increased bandwidth, try streaming AAC+...it works better at low bitrates.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

ScottColombe

Post by ScottColombe » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Thanks Mark,
I'm not entirely sure how it's being fed. Just figured I'd ask since that did seem low. I ran the stream into a stereo track on Adobe Audition and it appears to be mono. Granted, I'm not the one in charge of it; I just like seeing what's out there. I might suggest aac+ just to see how my sup reacts.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm using 70K on WME, sounds fine.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:44 am

Do keep in mind that it can be useful to run streams with older technologies, even if you have to run them at reduced bitrates, there is a small subset of your potential audience who a) really want to listen to *you* and b) are stuck on devices that, frex, can't play AAC. (Yes, there are still a few devices that can't play AAC; my Android phone can't, except through TuneIn, and TuneIn just went signup-only, which shed... at least me.)

In other news, you might want to consider setting up an emergency profile, too, that forces everything to 16/22/32k mono, to allow for more connections in real world emergency situations, at the flip of something vaguely resembling a switch.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:16 am

That's why you offer multiple stream types.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:17 am

Sure. But not everyone does. I see a fair number of stations that are WMA/AAC only