Needing a little advice on a Computer Video system

A place to discuss Webcasting
ingeborgdot

Needing a little advice on a Computer Video system

Post by ingeborgdot » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:27 pm

I am needing a little advice and don't really know where to turn so I am here asking if anyone could answer with experience or point me in the right forum direction to find out the answer. What I am doing is trying to setup a video system in a gymnasium. We have two jumbo screens on the walls that we will use to play certain things during the games such as intros, player pics, graphics etc. We have a balun with HDMI to cat 5 running to the projectors that will play the video. We also have a speaker control to run all sound from our vantage point. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? I could use a TriCaster 40 which would make it easy but the cost is a little prohibitive at this point. I am thinking of building a computer to run the video to play to the pjs but was wanting to know what some would think needs to go inside the computer? CPU, Video card, capture card? I will play HD video with this so it will need something fairly powerful. Also, I am planning on a possibility of several things to also do. We are for sure going to hook up several cameras and have them at various places during the game and show the crowd and different things during the game. We also live stream our games so I was hoping that I could possibly use those cameras for added looks too instead of a single camera. I just need to find something that will make this possible. I don't know if any one of these on this link would be what I need for capture or not? https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink . We will be using HD cameras with either component out or HDMI out to go into our capture device. We don't have SDI camcorders or anything SDI and probably won't either. Is there something other than SDI from blackmagic that would work with the HDMI or component from the camcorders or any suggestions. Then when we capture all of this I will be putting out a clone to the pjs and the monitor for the computer. We are looking at software to run the premade video clips too. http://www.clickeffects.com/products/crossfire/ or http://new.livestream.com/studio/software There is so much I want to do but just need to right equipment to do it. I am actually a little overwhelmed by all of it when looking for options because there are so many choices. I have not found anyone though that could tell me what my best options would be. I don't live in a large city so I don't have anyone that can show me anything and we are great distances from any. I would find it much easier to explain to someone by talking to them so I hope I can find someone that I can call on this. I don't know if this even makes sense to anyone but I don't know how else to explain it. I kind of know what I want to do but I have mixed emotions too. Like I said we do live streaming of or our games and I would like nothing better than to give us a more professional look and have 3 or more cameras going during the game but I have two great jumbo screens also that I need to utilize also and that will be my first priority at this point. If anyone can give me advice or lead me to the right spot (maybe an insane asylum) I would be grateful. Thank you.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Needing a little advice on a Computer Video system

Post by NECRAT » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:44 am

You could always convert the HDMI to HDSDI. Decklink and AJA both make small converters that aren't terribly expensive to do that.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

ingeborgdot

Post by ingeborgdot » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:30 am

Any special ones you could recommend? Also, what kind of capture cards would you recommend putting in the computer to capture the incoming video? Thanks.

ingeborgdot

Post by ingeborgdot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:01 pm

I have since changed my thinking after finding out the complexity of what it would take. I am now just going to be using a Tricaster 40 or mini to run the crowd cameras, graphics, intros etc. to the projectors to show on our jumbo screens. It will be a much simpler setup. I will be using the Tricaster unless someone can come up with an easier, cheaper thing to use. Don't everyone speak at once. :)

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm using a BlackMagicDesign Intensity interface to live stream meetings from our city's in-house video system that's in the meeting hall for the Board of Education and City Council meetings.

A program called Wirecast performs the heavy lifting as far as encoding and extra features. Their "Pro" version allows for extra cameras and graphic features which I currently had no use for, so I went with the basic version. The major cost will be with the Pro version of WC but that and the BlackMagic interface will come easily under the cost of a base-model TriCaster - I had one and sent it to the high school journalism class as it was just too much hardware to tie up for once-a-week video recording and transmission.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

ingeborgdot

Post by ingeborgdot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Would you be so kind as to tell me your entire setup? As I said in my last post I have since changed my mind and I won't be using it for streaming but for storing video intros, graphics, using camcorders to shoot of the crowd and some of the game and then project it on our jumbo screens. It just got too complex to do what I was wanting to do.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:10 pm

ingeborgdot wrote:Would you be so kind as to tell me your entire setup? As I said in my last post I have since changed my mind and I won't be using it for streaming but for storing video intros, graphics, using camcorders to shoot of the crowd and some of the game and then project it on our jumbo screens. It just got too complex to do what I was wanting to do.
In simple terms, it's like this:

in-house camera system (HDMI out) -> BlackMagic interface -> MacBook Air using WireCast -> single stream to multicast provider.

The in-house camera system has a single point video output that feeds into the BMD video interface. The Pro version of Wirecast would probably have the extended features you're seeking, and you can look at them at the vendor's website - http://www.telestream.net/wirecast/features.htm
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

ingeborgdot

Post by ingeborgdot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Okay, I see. That would be for the streaming part that I already am set up for. I need to find some type of device that has storage and would be able to do the things I want onto the jumbo screens. Thanks for your replies.

dbuckley

Post by dbuckley » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:33 pm

ingeborgdot wrote:...lead me to the right spot (maybe an insane asylum) I would be grateful. Thank you.
I think you should ask this question on the video and projection forum at the Blue Room, http://www.blue-room.org.uk - there are people there who do this stuff all day long, and will know how to solve your conundrum.

ingeborgdot

Post by ingeborgdot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks. That is one of the things I was looking for.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 am

ingeborgdot wrote:Okay, I see. That would be for the streaming part that I already am set up for. I need to find some type of device that has storage and would be able to do the things I want onto the jumbo screens. Thanks for your replies.
You could alway re-route Wirecast to output back through the video interface to your large displays, allowing you to use all the special screen effects locally without streaming.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

ingeborgdot

Post by ingeborgdot » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:15 am

What would I use to run Wirecast?

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:07 pm

ingeborgdot wrote:What would I use to run Wirecast?
At least with the "Pro" version of Wirecast it would provide a lighter-weight application to provide video effects and switching capability as opposed to some other video programs. Less than $1k is a little lighter on the budget than a $5k- $6k base-model TriCaster.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

ingeborgdot

Post by ingeborgdot » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:49 pm

But I would have to build a computer to run it. So there is the cost of that to consider.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 pm

ingeborgdot wrote:But I would have to build a computer to run it. So there is the cost of that to consider.
or just buy the TriCaster and be done with it.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net