Wireless XLR option

A place to discuss Webcasting
ingeborgdot

Wireless XLR option

Post by ingeborgdot » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:13 pm

I am looking for something that will make this work for me. We do a live video stream for our high school basketball team. The one problem is at this point is that we don't have a play by play person and will need to tap into our radio guy. Half the time I will just be able to plug into the back of his box and run a 10' XLR cable to make it work. The other half of the time I will need something wireless that I will have to use to get the sound into our audio mixer. The hookup would be XLR out to XLR in. What would work for that? Thanks.

TPT

Re: Wireless XLR option

Post by TPT » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:14 pm

I am trying to think of a cheap solution. I am assuming you just need to go a short distance from the play-by=play folks to your camera position. Most digital devices (e.g., some of the Bluetooth devices) will get you the audio, but it will be out of sync with the video because of the digital delay. If budget was no object, the best solution would be something like the Comtek IFB units. They are XLR balanced in, while the receiver is an 1/8" mini jack--you would need to fabricate an adapter to feed the audio into your video equipment

Best simple solution I can come up with is to get one of these flea-power Part 15 FM transmitters and something like the Grundig G-8 Traveler radio.
Avoid anything digital--you will have the same delay problem as with the Bluetooth devices. Again, you will need to create or find an adapter from the TRS headphone jack to XLR. Another consideration: what are you feeding into? If it is a mike level input, you will also need an audio pad to get the level down far enough that it doesn't overload your audio input.

Shure makes a combination 60 DB pad/adapter with a 1/4 plug on one end and an XLR female on the other. We use this to feed the output of a wireless mike receiver into our remote equipment. You can easily find adapters from 1/4 to 1/8th inch plugs.

Another approach is simply take the radio feed off-air---but I already know the answer why this probably won't work. Either you are streaming away games (and can't pick up the radio broadcast), or they use cell to feed the station, creating yet another digital delay.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:26 am

TPT wrote:Best simple solution I can come up with is to get one of these flea-power Part 15 FM transmitters and something like the Grundig G-8 Traveler radio.
The only major problem I forsee with that approach is that, depending upon location, it may be difficult to find a way to mount the transmit antenna, as Part 15 FM transmitters must be used with the supplied antenna (See §15.203).
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:02 pm

I have a 75 mhz. Comtek IFB, which is a Part 15 device. Using the included antenna--a simple whip that screws into the transmitter--I can cover a football field from the press box. I suspect the farthest distance that would need to be covered here is probably 100~150 feet across a field house. For example--from the play-by-play folks at court side to the TV equipment up near the top of the stands. So the built-in antenna supplied with these devices would surely put enough FM signal into a good portable radio to get the audio up to the TV equipment. Then it is just a matter of matching levels on transmit and receive from the respective equipment source and feed.

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Long, long ago...in a galaxy far, far away. Oh, wait. Wrong story.

Quite a few years ago, we were faced with a similar situation - in our case, the video recording for the game was on the other side of the arena from the play-by-play. In this case, the recording was not for broadcast, it was to provide the video the league required of each game (at the time, it was the NPSL - indoor soccer). We used a simple wireless microphone. The lav mic on the transmitter was clipped to the headset boom for the play-by-play guy, the receiver connected to the camera. Nice, simple, and inexpensive as we had an extra wireless setup.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org