Audio Processing?

A place to discuss Webcasting
nathanlawson

Re: Audio Processing?

Post by nathanlawson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 am

Im at a netcaster using Breakaway from Claesson Edwards... Its a VERY nice piece of software and sounds exceptional! Sounds overkill but its very light and runs on the same PC doing logging for the automated podcasting and we never have a drop-out...

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:47 pm

I seen sound solution with it's DSP plugin I believe just the other day. I think it is free but again, I am not sure. I am using the fine Omnia A/XE I received from TWiRT a while ago. I like how mine sounds but I am thinking that my automation is crapping on some of the processing. Even though I have disabled it, it still feels like it is creeping in.

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:45 am

Just a Compellor right now but I'm debating on changing things up.

http://streamdb3web.securenetsystems.net/v5/WSWO-LP

iMediaTouch_Guy

Post by iMediaTouch_Guy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:25 pm

I'm using an Orban 1100 and Opticodec Ver 3.5 all on my play out box and it's been rock steady. Can't beat the Orban processing sounds just fantastic! I'd love to get a standalone Orban processor, but way out of my budget. Maybe one day I'll build another PC and move the processing to a separate machine. The 1100 was well worth every penny I spent on it. Just need to get the PAD data from iMediatouch formatted correctly before I can build an "official" website for it.
John R. Jordan, CRO, KJ4PPA
Jordan Broadcast Services
Computers, voice work and automation systems for radio

xmusicmatt

Post by xmusicmatt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:33 am

My internet station - Positive Rock Radio - XmusicOnline.com is being fed from an Radius Console into Breakaway Live before hitting the SAM Cast encoder (processing disabled in Sam cast).

Bojcha

Post by Bojcha » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:51 am

Last edited by Bojcha on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

amradiofan

Post by amradiofan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:18 am

Just the AM stereo processing by CRL used on the air! C-quam stream from Carver receiver. Compliments galore, too! (comments page)
http://www.i1430.com for the stream. If its GREAT on the air, the same will be true of the stream. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 am

Actually, I generally don't advise that stations stream from a tuner. First off, there are performance rights issues if you run any nationally produced ads (which is why most stations do commercial break overlays in the first place), and if you go off the air or your tuner gets messed up, your stream is done. Also, if you're in a PPM market, the stream needs to be encoded separately.

A nice, clean, lightly processed feed to your streamer (with filtering adjusted based on your bandwidth) is all you need.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

amradiofan

Post by amradiofan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Well, this may sound "terse" but, its only short because I want to quickly address your points...no attitude intended, but I've got Christmas prod to do.....

There are no ad issues when you clear your stuff with your networks first! All you need do is ASK! 99 percent of my spots are local, and I WANT that flavor heard on theh web.... ) and...if it's national, oh well...it's part of the permission for "use in continuous stream." I hate the thought of making the stream a homogenized dis-associated stream different from my "real" station. I work hard to make our station sound great, and I want it HEARD.

We're not part of Arbitron, so I don't have issues, nor would I care. If I was big-city and Arbitron market, I'd still run CQUAM down the line. Don't like 'em anyway....I'm a small market guy. Never needed 'em in 10 years of owning....

and..gee....who lays at night worrying about going off air? If it's THAT big of a problem, (going off air)...worrying about a 'net stream is small cookies!

You can't argue with our results! GREAT comments, GREAT sponsors paying for the service. GREAT in-house app developed and "out there" without the help of the big guys!

Yep. We're different. And successful at it!

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Most of the stations I've heard covering their spot breaks on the stream do such a horrid job of it, showing that they really don't give a crap whether anyone is listening or not. This includes "big" stations in Chicago. It seems that a little effort in advance securing performance rights on the stream would go a long way to making the stream part of the station instead of the third bastard stepchild that some corporate suit forced on you.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:36 pm

Problem is that it's the voice talents that hold the rights. They haven't been interested in negotiating (read: $$$).
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:41 pm

And this, my friends, is one of the big reasons Internet "radio" will never gain any meaningful traction.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:40 am

It's one of several, unfortunately. I'm all for everyone who played a part (musicians, VO artists, etc.) getting their cut, however it's so disjointed that there's absolutely no way to make money, be compliant, and sound good.

I have a small-market station that skirts things by not running any national ads. The show providers may give you permission to air the ads but unless they produce and voice it, it's not theirs to give. This station simply produces all of their ads locally, thereby staying on the right side of the rights issue. Once or twice a year they get a national ad - they'll just run the overlay for that particular ad.

playmixradio

Post by playmixradio » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:22 pm

'm not a very big station but telos processors are much much more expensive everything seems charged a 10-year work in one unit so I have a virtual processor and the breakway sounds much better and is abcequible :shock:

Bojcha

Post by Bojcha » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:07 am

Will just say that i don't understand need for 128k stream where input is AM receiver.