HD Translator IDs

IBOC, HD Radio, FM eXtra, DRM, Importers, Exporters, Exgines...digital radio spoken here!
NECRAT
Site Admin

HD Translator IDs

Post by NECRAT » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:37 pm

OK here is something to ponder.

What do translators running HD put for their HD ID's, IF they are running the HD-2 or HD-3 of the primary station...

I'll give an example of what I am asking.

Lets say you have a primary station, WNYC-HD, and you are going to simulcast WNYC-HD3 on a translator, W299AK. And the translator, W299AK is running an HD stream, what do you put as the identifier? WNYC? NYC3? (So that it shows up as WNYC-FM or NYC3-FM on the HD radio receiving it?)
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: HD Translator IDs

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:29 pm

There are two fields for station info with PAD...Station "slogan" and station call sign. I would imagine that you'd put the translator ID in the call sign field, and the originating call sign (or whatever you'd want to "brand" the station as) in the "slogan" field.

So in this case you could see this on the display:

W299AK
NYC3-FM New York
Title/Artist/Album

Now, having said that, I don't think that its' a "legal" issue as much as a standards one. The above would conform with the standard, but as far as I know there are really no rules yet pertaining to IBOC ID (other than aurally) so you could probably legally do it however you wanted.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:35 pm

The translator still has to be identified by its callsign either aurally by the originating station, by an aural insert locally (voice or Morse code) or by FSK locally no matter what the source station (AM, FM "SD or HD"). IBOC ID doesn't really enter into that since it's just a marketing thing...the FCC requires the normal analog old-school ID regardless.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:37 pm

Yeah, that's what I meant (though I didn't really explain it clearly). :D
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:55 pm

Deep Thought wrote: IBOC ID doesn't really enter into that since it's just a marketing thing...
Yeah I understand, I was more inclined to see what people put in the PAD field for the station ID.

On my JVC KDR-HD1, there are only 7 total charecter spaces, so the translator would probably auto-truncate and show up as
W299-FM or 99AK-FM.

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Actually the -FM is added at the Exporter. It's not a default of the radio. I could make it say pretty much anything... :)

eadler

Post by eadler » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:03 pm

Can't you put any 8 characters just like you can with RDS? "W2##XX "

Speaking of PAD data, what are you all using for PAD data generation (either static or dynamic)?
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:05 pm

I'm using TRE for PAD and RDS.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:49 pm

BroadcastDoc wrote:Actually the -FM is added at the Exporter. It's not a default of the radio. I could make it say pretty much anything... :)
Even the JVC? A station near here for a while just had "HD" for its ID., so on my Sony it showed up as "HD". But the JVC still showed it as "HD -FM".

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Yep.

By default, the HD exporter is set to automatically append "-FM" or "-AM" to the call sign. You need to uncheck it to eliminate it. In fact, the new version of the exporter software has "HD" as the default call sign and "-FM" automatically appended.

So that's the scoop with your JVC - the station was sending out "HD-FM" as their call sign! :)

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am

Doc your comments peaked my curiosity from a different angle. Most of the FM translators I've worked with over the years wouldn't be able to receive the IBOC/HD subcarriers, let alone pass them to transmit in a usable form. Heck even though a typical translator was supposed to with a usual IF conversion, most of my translators wouldn't even pass a 93kHz aural sub=channel, let alone data carriers.

I'm sure that translators are better now, but are FM stations which converted to HD/IBOC actually replacing the old translators to so they will pass HD/IBOC?

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:26 am

I wouldn't say a lot are, but the technology is out there:

http://www.larcan.com/Broadcast_Solutio ... ctid=56406

I think we may see a more of these as stations look for ways to fill coverage holes with their HD/HD2 programming.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Also Armstrong and Crown touted HD translators which were open enough to carry the whole package.
The Crown product (The LA series, if memory serves me correctly) is no longer listed on their website.
I haven't checked Armstrong's , but it was definatley something a few were offering at one time.