Comrex Bric Link II - STL

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
KJ6EO

Comrex Bric Link II - STL

Post by KJ6EO » Tue May 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Hello and thanks for reading my post. Is it possible to put processed audio through a Bric Link STL? I've been thinking about it and it
seems to me that the only way I'm gonna maintain tight control over my audio is to put the processor at the transmitter site (using the Bric Links). After weeks of cranking on my Audio Processor (Omnia 3FM), I'm very satisfied with the sound I'm getting (sparkling). The audio connection between the Omnia 3FM and the Transmitter (BW Broadcast TX-300) is composite. So my proposed setup is:

STUDIO ---- Bric Link II ---- Public Internet ----- Bric Link II (Transmitter Site) ----- Omnia 3FM ----- RDS ----- Transmitter

If it's possible to keep the Audio Processor at the Studio, then only the Bric Link II, RDS, and Transmitter will be at the transmitter site.

Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bill - KZNQ-LP 101.5 Santa Clarita, CA
http://www.live365.com/stations/kznqfm

Deep Thought

Re: Comrex Bric Link II - STL

Post by Deep Thought » Tue May 19, 2015 4:40 pm

You can run processed L/R audio through a BRIC-Link in linear PCM mode with little degradation, but not composite. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you at all. The data sampling rates and bandwidth required just aren't there...not even close.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

KJ6EO

Post by KJ6EO » Wed May 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks for your reply. Looks like I'll have to feed the audio from the Automation Server at the Studio directly into the Bric Link II and feed the audio from the remote Bric Link II directly to the input of the Omnia 3FM. Then I can go Composite to the transmitter. If I run AAC between the Bric Links, that should get the job done. Do you agree? I also hear that the Bric Links support AES3 too.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed May 20, 2015 11:29 pm

If you have enough bandwidth between the two I'd try FLAC. Linear PCM doesn't seem to work as well, ironically.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

KJ6EO

Post by KJ6EO » Thu May 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Thanks for your suggestions Deep. Since I'm not on the air yet, I have the flexability to be able to test everything in my garage before taking it up to the transmitter site. I looked at the Barix codecs. I think they'd be ok to be used as a backup. But I think I'm gonna go the extra expense and get the Bric Link II's since they're gonna be my primary STL. As soon as I receive them, and I've had a chance to test them, I'll get back to you.

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO
KZNQ-LP 101.5
Santa Clarita, CA

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Thu May 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Ironically, I've had better luck using a Barix as an STL than a BRIC.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

KJ6EO

Post by KJ6EO » Thu May 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Doc -

Well, I'm looking to use FLAC between the two brics. I don't know what kind of bandwidth that's gonna require. My current speeds are 1.5/12M at the Studio. The STL will be on a seperate connection of course.

Could you recommend an inexpensive RDS encoder? I'd like to supply Station ID and Artist/Title info.

Regards,

Bill

bill981

Post by bill981 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:01 pm

A BRIC-Link in FLAC mode runs about 700-800 kbps. You should put some protection in front of the studio unit, such as a Compellor, set to only level and then only when the level out of the board is higher than normal. In other words, it is almost doing nothing. You don't want to go above -6 dBFS on the BRIC, and the Compellor will keep the really loud stuff around that. Let the Omnia do most of the AGC.

Will you be running the BRIC in analog or AES? I think you can do one on one end and the other on the other end.

Analog>BRIC>Cloud>BRIC>AES>Omnia>

Also, set the jitter buffer to a minimum of 100 ms. If you let it try to keep the latency low, you will run into dropouts. You may need even more using the public Internet.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Fri May 22, 2015 6:20 am

bill981 wrote:You should put some protection in front of the studio unit, such as a Compellor, set to only level and then only when the level out of the board is higher than normal. In other words, it is almost doing nothing.
I concur. I do that in front of any A to D conversion in an STL system, whether a digital radio STL, an internet-based system such as an Intraplex, or even something as simple as a Blue Box in STL mode. A Compellor is my AGC of choice but I have used other AGCs in that role (I have one AM running a Blue Box with a CRL AGC-400 protecting it).
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri May 22, 2015 9:07 am

Analog>BRIC>Cloud>BRIC>AES>Omnia

I'm doing that at an AM station running IBOC...works fine. Only difference is it's into an Optimod 9400. That setup has been more reliable than the IBOC exciter. :roll:

grich

Post by grich » Fri May 22, 2015 12:16 pm

bill981 wrote:A BRIC-Link in FLAC mode runs about 700-800 kbps. ...
I have three transmitter sites running BRICs at 64k HE-AAC mono over the cloud on DSL lines. One of the sites is a really long loop...only 640k down/256k up. Works fine for their talk format. I think latency is around 1.5 seconds.

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Fri May 22, 2015 12:24 pm

"That setup has been more reliable than the IBOC exciter."

Dare I ask what brand this was? Does ANY DeathStar AM IBOC exciter work properly for more than a year?

Bob M.

RGORJANCE

Re: ANY DeathStar AM IBOC exciter work properly for more than a year?

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri May 22, 2015 12:53 pm

Well, it's interesting that you would ask about AM IBOC exciter life. The first went back to the factory like 8 times. The last time it came back I opened it up and found a loose nut floating under the mother board. I suspect this was the primary cause of the problems. The company sent us a replacement real fast.

The replacement exciter lasted, trouble free, for maybe 3-4 years and croaked. I never got to trouble shoot it, Acted like the power supply died. I was told to remove it. It was summarily ejected from the rack and sent to a place on the floor in another room where it languishes to this day.

I definitely am not a fan/supporter of AM IBOC.

Fossil

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri May 22, 2015 1:51 pm

kcbooboo wrote:"That setup has been more reliable than the IBOC exciter."

Dare I ask what brand this was? Does ANY DeathStar AM IBOC exciter work properly for more than a year?

Bob M.
Nautel. It's less than 2 years old and has been less than stellar in the operational department.

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Sat May 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Interesting. I had replaced the hard drive and reloaded the software twice a couple of years ago. The unit would almost boot up but when it got to the purple screen with the big "X" in the middle, that's as far as it got. If/when it WOULD boot up, it would croak within a few days, even after a fresh reload. I'm guessing it could be fixed if I had a set of boards to swap.

I know of a BE AM IBOC exciter that's been flawless since first installed over 5 years ago.

I don't know what some of the big NYC 50KW stations are using (I suspect Harris since they're also running DX50s) but those go out on vacation every once in a while too.

As pointed out, those trips back and forth to Quincy get expensive.

But we're far off topic now.

Bob M.
======