Got DX-ES??

Trying for the big catch?
NECRAT
Site Admin

Got DX-ES??

Post by NECRAT » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:43 pm

What a fun lunch break...

http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

awsherrill

Re: Got DX-ES??

Post by awsherrill » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:12 pm

Heard stations in South Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois and some others not yet identified earlier today in Raleigh.

Wonder what six meters is like right now...

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:25 pm

Took the local 88.3 off air (tower guys climbing to install new equipment for co-located A.T.& T cell site)--heard French popular music station. Probably Ontario or Quebec

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:14 pm

Allen, didn't know you got your ham ticket! I see you also have the preferred type of address. One that suggests higher elevation.

The President (or Chairman or whatever top dog he was) of the ARRL wrote an article about that subject in QST back in the 60s or 70s. He had the high location but not necessarily the address to match. For some reason I still remember his address was on Pope's Head Road and his name was Vic but I can't remember his last name or callsign.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:29 am

Vic Clark, W4KFC?

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:50 am

Mike, that address is a bit misleading...there aren't really any "high mountains" in the immediate vicinity. Although I do live on a bit of a ridge that is about 400 feet above sea level. The subdivision is called South Mountain, which always makes me think of the big FM tower site in Phoenix.

Just developers being creative with naming things, I guess. I got my Tech about seven years ago and upgraded to General sometime later. Have not been terribly active.

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Yes it was Vic Clark and how could I forget a callsign with chicken in it!

His point, one of them, was it didn't matter if you actually HAD the high elevation, just that your address suggested it. All tongue in cheek, of course.

I haven't been active much here lately except a little 2 meters. But in approximately 28 days my ham license will be 50 years old (8/12/66). My inactive periods far outweigh active. There's always something else to do. And I've always managed to be inactive for long periods during sunspot peaks, gol-darn it.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---