ESPN3 streaming parameters?

It's just radio with pictures! :)
w9wi

ESPN3 streaming parameters?

Post by w9wi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:44 am

Anyone know the codec & bitrate they're using for this stream?

Our sports guys have a subscription -- they're complaining it's stuttering & breaking up. I can stream other programs on the same computer without problems. I'm suspecting there's a problem with a codec on this machine, but I don't know which codec they're looking at.

(I'd love to test ESPN3 myself but I haven't been able to get them to sign in at a time when I'm here:( )

CBC is streaming beautifully at 2.605Mbps MPEG-4.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Deep Thought

Re: ESPN3 streaming parameters?

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:13 am

Just logged in and let it run for awhile and did not encounter any issues. I don't have the ability to drill down into the stream specs other than what their player gives me, which is attached. Maybe it'll help.
Attachments
59d37e63.jpg
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:31 pm

That's what I was looking for, thanks!

They stopped by this noon & logged in for me. Turns out the computer we're using isn't up to the task. It'll play CBC-TV just fine (at 2.6Mbps) but it can't handle the faster ESPN stream.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Finally resolved this after trying five different PCs:(

1: Had even more trouble decoding the stream than the original machine.
1: Refused to install the drivers for the TV tuner card (this machine is also occasionally used to record the competition). Refuses to install unsigned drivers and no signed drivers are available for the card.
1: No audio. Video output card only embeds audio in the DVI output, not the HD-SDI -- and the DVI output doesn't work. Don't have any spare HD-SDI embedders to stick on the output.
1: KVM switch won't accept the video from either DVI port. (but three different monitors and a Blackmagic DVI-to-SDI adaptor take it just fine)

I probably walked 3-4 miles in the last two days going back & forth between the closet where this PC lives and the engineering shop:(
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66