wiring diagram - 360 like system

Where the magic happens...or something...
ianstewart

wiring diagram - 360 like system

Post by ianstewart »

At KOLA 99.9, we had a 360 Shortcut, a radio systems board and telos 6x1.

At the new station I have a similar setup, and I would like to get it to work like it did at KOLA.

Here is what I am trying to do:

Right now, the telos and mic work as expected with the board.
Also I can record to the 360 like device, but it is slightly different then I am used to (but I can live with it).

At KOLA, when you put the telos into cue, the caller could hear you without any issue
even though the mic was potted down and off. So how do I wire the Mic to be live for the caller?
Do I do this directly or is there something special to do through the Radio Systems Millennium?

----

Can someone provide me a diagram for how to wire the mic, telos, recorder and board?
Seems like I need to wire the mic to 3 places? (telos, off-air recorder, RS board)

Thank for any help,

Ian

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: wiring diagram - 360 like system

Post by BroadcastDoc »

Generally you'd take the output of your mic processor and feed that to both your console and your Telos. Many consoles provide an output to do this - using a "TEL" channel that feeds pre-fader audio. If the RS has this sort of design, you're good to go. Otherwise you have to look at a few things...it might be helpful if you can tell us how many mics you want to feed, and if you'll want to feed audio from the console as well.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

TheSigma

Post by TheSigma »

AS Doc says, use the tel output to the input of your telos, I just rewired a studio for a station I do part time work for, and this is exactly what we did. The board was a millenium digital, and the phone patch was a JK audio Innkeeper, works like a charm. To wire it you need to find the TEL output and wire it to the Telos input. RS manuals are availible for download at their website http://www.radiosystems.com/technotes.html. which Millenium do you have? then whatever you want sent to the tel interface, press TEL on the channel.

as for the recorder, what do you wish to accomplish with it, that may affect how it is wired up.

Good luck, hope this helps,
NS

ianstewart

Post by ianstewart »

Live on Air calls work great. I am using the Tel bus to get to the telos now.
The issue is that my RS M6 board was made in 2003 so it does not appear to support
Pre-fader Tel bus operation.

So what I think I am going to have to do is the following:

Wire the one mic processor to the RSM
Wire the same mic processor to the Telos in (in addition to the Tel bus in for off air answering)
Wire the same mic processor to the 360 like device.

This way, I can:

Record offair calls to 360 like device
Answer telos using RSM channel in cue mode and the mic will be live even though it is not on the board
The live stuff works fine now so it is a case of splitting my mic processor to the other two places.

I will have to get rid of the studio hub connectors on the Mic Proc because I do not think they support
routing that to 3 places.

Thanks for the tips - any others?

Muadeeb

Post by Muadeeb »

Studio Hub _does_ support routing one device to multiple destinations, but to do it in their world, you need a couple of this device (http://www.studiohub.com/adapt-st.html). You can also bring the RJ-45 out to an XLR connector and split any number of ways you like (Studio Hub sells those too)
Procrastination I can totally do. I'm good at it, I have a black belt in procrastination, it's an art form for me, I'm the absolute King of, well, I'll finish this thought la

TheSigma

Post by TheSigma »

Use a DA (Distribution Amplifier) to do the split, If you can afford to do so.

ianstewart

Post by ianstewart »

The adapt-sa looks interesting but I need 3 outs.

I will look at the DA method.

Thanks.

Ian

KALY AM 1240. JENNiRADIO

looking for local sales reps. Send your contact info
to ian@jennifersmart.com