Where to find used equipment?

Where the magic happens...or something...
spareparts

Where to find used equipment?

Post by spareparts » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm helping out with the construction of a podcast/remote studio located at a technology museum on the Jersey shore. So far we have been pretty lucky with gear being donated, but have had a run of problematic desks (noise, dead channels, flaky ribbon cables, etc).

It's pretty much time to bite the bullet and buy one. Management is suggesting used, I'm clueless on where to start looking, and whats the going rate for a used desk with the basic capabilities of a Wheatstone R60.

Any direction for the new guy?

SP

TPT

Re: Where to find used equipment?

Post by TPT » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:47 am

For the most part, probably E-Bay. Since it takes a lot of work to wire up a console, they are usually pretty beat up by the time the decision comes to replace that console with a new installation. I can remember a fun couple of days just moving my control room Auditronics 2500 8 inches back to accommodate keyboards--since the console was on-air the entire time.

Then--for the larger consoles--shipping becomes a consideration. Awkward devices to ship.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am

My go-to for used equipment is Steve Scarborough at Bay Country Broadcast in Baltimore. I have been dealing with Steve for most of 20 years. I recently bought a Symetrix 528E from him that shows no sign of use and has definitely never been mounted in a rack. There are also a couple of broadcast equipment groups on Facebook.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

coremans

Post by coremans » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:35 am

Take a look here. There might be some good quality and good price stuff for you.
Also the Symetrix ADA

https://www.benl.ebay.be/sch/dvb-sell/m ... pg=&_from=

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am
My go-to for used equipment is Steve Scarborough at Bay Country Broadcast in Baltimore. I have been dealing with Steve for most of 20 years. I recently bought a Symetrix 528E from him that shows no sign of use and has definitely never been mounted in a rack. There are also a couple of broadcast equipment groups on Facebook.
I've bought equipment from Steve as well and had a good experience with him. In fact I ended up with a nice Dynamax 12 channel console which I hate to part with, but I ended up getting a larger Dynamax for my personal studio. I also picked up an Omnia One from him at the time.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

spareparts

Post by spareparts » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am
My go-to for used equipment is Steve Scarborough at Bay Country Broadcast in Baltimore.
Sent Steve an email from the website - waiting to see what he has in inventory.

SP

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Bill DeFelice wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:54 pm
... but I ended up getting a larger Dynamax for my personal studio.
I get away with just a workstation, since all I am doing is producing a weekly music program and doing occasional promos and PSAs.

Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

spareparts

Post by spareparts » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:45 am

In case anyone is interested in what the podcast studio studio looks like

: Image

Cables under the table to the desk are all Belden 8451. I left a large service loop to ease the transition to Krone blocks when the "new" desk is acquired.

The monitor headphone jacks are under the table lip, along with network and telephone connections. Each microphone has a DBX 286s pre-amp that we are using as a de-esser. The upper monitor is a Paravel Wall Time.

Curtains hide the wall, which cannot be painted or changed (temporary space)