Interested in Ham Radio

Ham it up!

Interested in Ham Radio

Post by TechGuy » Fri May 27, 2016 2:15 pm

I am extremely interested in getting into Ham radio. However, the task of "where to begin" has me at a loss. I understand I need to pass certain tests prior to actually participating. Can anyone guide me to a practical first step? For instance what is a good book to start with? Or maybe a good Ham guide? For now I am looking for help with books/guidance to learn the art of ham. Once I have a decent grasp on the concepts and can pass the tests
I'm sure I will have to ask more questions regarding equipment and so forth. I have read many of the threads in the AM section over the years and believe there is quite a lot of knowledge that can be learned from the people on this site

A little bit about me: I've been working for an electronics company for a little over 6 years, started in production where I became fascinated with the electronics and read every book I could get my hands on. With the help of a great mentor/the chief engineer I was able to get a decent grasp on electronics (RF included) and have been with the test/calibration department for about 4 or 5 years(I would like to think my "grasp" has increased significantly over that time). I find AM radio to be quite fascinating (it may not be the "best" band or best sounding but it's down right cool). I have been to a couple Tx locations and many NAB shows. It's amazing how much you can learn by being a fly on the wall while some great engineers discuss jobs they have worked or are working.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Site Admin

Re: Interested in Ham Radio

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sun May 29, 2016 5:27 pm

If you want to get a "feel" for the exams, has practice tests online. It's a good way to get an idea of what you're up against. The ARRL has study guides as well, and you can often find a copy at your local library.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Re: Interested in Ham Radio

Post by kkiddkkidd » Mon May 30, 2016 2:10 pm

See if there is a local ham club and join or pop into a meeting. The ARRL also has (or at least had) a listing of Elmers that covered almost every area. There are also a number of email reflectors dedicated to ham radio in general and absolutely every different aspect of it. Like this forum, there are lots of good folks around to help TNG.
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
AM Ground Systems Company
KK Broadcast Engineering