X-band DXing

Trying for the big catch?
Shane

X-band DXing

Post by Shane » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Never noticed this before. Usually not much DXing up here but this evening (during the 1st Q!) on my car radio in the driveway, there was a station coming in quite strong on EVERY frequency. To include 1600 & 1610, technically not Xband. Didn’t stick around for IDs due to the fact I was delivering dinner.

What made me look: I had local 1620 on to hear the game and I heard “monkey chatter” from an adjacent channel station. Never heard that before in the X band so I took a walk up and down the dial.

BTW, the game was on at least 3, maybe 4 different stations. 1610 was en Español with copious AC hum. No idea where that was coming from.
-Mike Shane- -Omaha-

Deep Thought

Re: X-band DXing

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:49 pm

The band's been pretty nuts over the last couple weeks...which isn't that unusual this time of year. I've heard stations on every channel (including x-band) several times this month.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w9wi

Re: X-band DXing

Post by w9wi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:02 am

Unless you have a nearby traveler's information station, 1610 is almost certainly Toronto. CHHA usually broadcasts in foreign languages -- it's run by a Hispanic church but I've also heard South Asian programming -- and on rare occasions, English.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66