New studios for KESN

Have a site with some cool media? Post the links here
Muadeeb

New studios for KESN

Post by Muadeeb » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:47 am

KESN in Dallas, TX is in their new studios. Switchover happened a month ago, but it's taken this long to get most of the cleanup and final pieces in. 9 studios for KESN 103.3 (ESPN Radio) and KZMP 1540 (ESPN Deportes). Each station has a Control room for board operator and a producer, a talk studio for 5 talking heads, and a sports/news booth. 3 production rooms and two open edit bays round out the facilities. Automation is done through Enco, and the consoles are SAS Rubicons. Pictures will come...
Procrastination I can totally do. I'm good at it, I have a black belt in procrastination, it's an art form for me, I'm the absolute King of, well, I'll finish this thought la

Muadeeb

Re: New studios for KESN

Post by Muadeeb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:19 am

PICTURE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

All your racks are belong to us :twisted:

In house cable headend. Satellite provided by Dish Network.

SAS Router frames. Route baby, route.

Air tuners

You'll find only 3 computers in all the studios. Everything else lives back here.

Enco workstations. Suckers are loud...

KESN Control Room.

Operator's position. Two different Encos, one of which has Audition 3. Screen on the right is their personal workstation

Producer position. Personal workstation on left; Enco with Audition; two top monitors are for Telos Assistant Producer and one screen is shared with the talent. Bottom right screen is for webcam production (not up yet). Turret is an extension of the main console, so Producer has full control of the audio he wants to bring up, including his mic.

Sports Booth

Studio. Yes, 7 screens for two people. Outer most of the arcs are individual workstations, middle are Telos Assistant Producer screens (or Text Toy), and inner is shared with the producer. 7th in middle of the two hosts is an Enco that is shared with the producer, and the floating turret is a single fader that is an extension of the main console.

Production Room A

Production Room B

Edit Bays in the cubicle area. Intended for reporters to come back and cut up their audio, or for operators/producer to pre-load their breaks or array pages.

Closeup of Edit 1
Procrastination I can totally do. I'm good at it, I have a black belt in procrastination, it's an art form for me, I'm the absolute King of, well, I'll finish this thought la

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:47 am

Wow!! Well done!!!
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:02 am

COOL DIGS! Doesn't look like a depression in Texas, or did you guys bag some "stimulus loot"????? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Fossil

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Very nice job indeed. Who did the furniture?

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:39 pm

I don't want to put words in Muadeeb's mouth, but it looks suspiciously like Ron Mitchells' stuff from RAM systems. He did some stuff for one of my clients (two cities/four stations) that resembled KSEN's very nice looking furniture.

Fossil

Muadeeb

Post by Muadeeb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:01 pm

awsherrill wrote:Very nice job indeed. Who did the furniture?
Furniture was Omniraxx.

I admit that I was skeptical of their work because all I'd seen was the off-the-shelf stuff, but these guys do tremendously good work. They spent hours on the phone and Remote Desktop sessions to get exactly what we wanted. They also sent a guy down during construction to verify measurements for some of the trickier rooms. Counter tops are 1 1/2" thick MDF, and risers are 3/4" thick. Large access holes between pieces and access doors to all cabinets secure with magnets.
Pooh Bear wrote:it looks suspiciously like Ron Mitchells' stuff from RAM systems
Actually, there is a little bit of Ron Mitchell in there. The mic arms for the host positions are his thing. We're putting cameras into the studios and wanted a low profile mic so we didn't block the view. Ron did do ESPN Chicago a few years ago.
Pooh Bear (again?) wrote:COOL DIGS! Doesn't look like a depression in Texas, or did you guys bag some "stimulus loot"?????
The project came close to being nixed when everything cratered. It helped that we were close to having a lease offer and our local GM did a helluva job lobbying for us.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Damn.

:shock:

First class stuff. First class job.

(now I feel even older...how many computers run that place?)
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Muadeeb

Post by Muadeeb » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:25 am

Deep Thought wrote:Damn.

:shock:

First class stuff. First class job.

(now I feel even older...how many computers run that place?)
55 including user workstations for surfing, and that's just the studios. I loose count when I get to Programming and Sales. I don't even want to think about codecs and dsp devices.