Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

Deep Thought

Re: Tom "Shotgun" Kelly - KGB

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:45 am

I miss those Collins boards...

You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who could run a show like that now.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:14 am

First station I was engineer at had a Collins 212-G like that. That was a sweet sounding board when all the tubes were new in it. It was also a nice running board as well.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:59 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed that video! A blast from my own past. I had an LOL moment while he was struggling to get a 45 back into one of those thick sleeves that always caught the disk in the glue joint if you didn't put it in just right. Having to constantly move small objects every day in that fashion helped me to appreciate automation. Then again, it beat having to move large objects every day.

One of those 212s was in use for production at our place up until 2004. Sweet sound, indeed. The owner wanted to know why I didn't want to replace that board first. Simply no reason to. Even after we acquired Cool Edit and its meters that purport to be able to measure down to -120dBfs (depending, of course, on the noise figure of the sound card) that board was quiet down to -75, which if that number was accurate was awfully good though it probably could have been better with a little TLC.

I posted a really bad pic of that 212 here a month or so ago. I should try to get a better picture sometime.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:34 pm

w4cl wrote:First station I was engineer at had a Collins 212-G like that. That was a sweet sounding board when all the tubes were new in it. It was also a nice running board as well.
That console was indestructible. Serial #1 was in service at WFHR, Wisconsin Rapids until just a few years ago.
AFAIK another 212-G is still in use as the main console at WJMS, Ironwood. Never saw any reason to replace it when I was up there, it sounded good and maintainance consisted of tube changes every 24 months, and capacitors about every 10. Still has the original switches and faders, 45+ years of continuous service.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:28 am

ChuckG wrote:
w4cl wrote:First station I was engineer at had a Collins 212-G like that. That was a sweet sounding board when all the tubes were new in it. It was also a nice running board as well.
That console was indestructible. Serial #1 was in service at WFHR, Wisconsin Rapids until just a few years ago.
AFAIK another 212-G is still in use as the main console at WJMS, Ironwood. Never saw any reason to replace it when I was up there, it sounded good and maintainance consisted of tube changes every 24 months, and capacitors about every 10. Still has the original switches and faders, 45+ years of continuous service.

Gregory Jon (Of WOKY, and used to work at WJMS) says that they still do have that Collins board.
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:16 am

I am amazed you can still get tubes for it.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:46 am

K9EZ wrote: Gregory Jon (Of WOKY, and used to work at WJMS) says that they still do have that Collins board.
When I left they were still running sweepers and liners that Greg cut. Pass along best wishes if you speak with him!
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:15 pm

ChuckG wrote:
K9EZ wrote: Gregory Jon (Of WOKY, and used to work at WJMS) says that they still do have that Collins board.
When I left they were still running sweepers and liners that Greg cut. Pass along best wishes if you speak with him!
Heh I just left him a Facebook message a few minutes ago.

Gregory is AWESOME! When WOKY was running oldies, I would wonder into the studio and he would let me pick out some of the music. What a thrill that was for me. Gregory is an incredible oldies PD.
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC