RadioWorld Magazine

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
kcbooboo

RadioWorld Magazine

Post by kcbooboo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:01 pm

Has anyone gotten their printed magazine since January? Mine seem to have stopped coming. Their web site has been completely redone, it's vastly simpler, and lacking an awful lot of stuff that used to be there, including digital editions of a lot of past issues, so I can't even get PDFs of the ones I never got in the mail. I don't know when my subscription would have expired so I don't even know if that's part of the problem.

I sent an email to Paul McLane, the editor, and never got a response. I don't know if the operation folded or what. I sent an email to Jon Bissett and haven't gotten anything from him either, but sometimes he doesn't respond for a while. I do enjoy reading his WorkBench column.

Bob M.

Deep Thought

Re: RadioWorld Magazine

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:18 pm

Last one I received was the Feb 14 issue. I still get their daily emails, but that website looks a lot like they are transitioning to entirely online. The links I saved from the "old" version are all 404 as well so no archives. That sucks.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks. I had someone else view the web site along with me and we're both (not) seeing the same thing, so it's not my computer selectively blanking out parts of the web page.

Archives? Digital Editions? All seems to have vanished. The limited content they DO let you see has no dates on anything. Articles seem to be in a format best suited for a smartphone: narrow, large fonts, small "pages". I tried "printing" an article and none of the photos embedded in the article showed up. Of course all the ads and other blurbs AFTER the article printed fine.

Whatever they did, I seem to have been removed from their mailing list for no apparent reason, even after contributing lots of stuff.

Bob M.

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:51 am

My Radio World subscription somehow got converted to "digital only" about a year ago and I stopped getting the print version.

I intended to call them and get it fixed, but I have gotten used to reading the digital version and not having to deal with disposing of another magazine.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Last print edition I got was March 1.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 am

It seems they just pulled up the carpet and moved from NYC to Virginia, and left everything behind, which includes email addresses and all that good content. They may also have sent something to me via email but after getting so much spam from them I probably tossed the message. I never got any paper renewal form in the mail that usually comes with the printed issues once a year. I guess it's time to contact their circulation department and find out what happened, then see about getting the issues I never received.

I wouldn't mind the digital editions if they were posted on a server for me to retrieve rather than being emailed.

Bob M.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:05 am

I also had to manually chase down all the new URLs to stories and articles on this site. Their admin could have easily forwarded all the new URLs so the search engines would have found them easier.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 am

Bill DeFelice wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:05 am
I also had to manually chase down all the new URLs to stories and articles on this site. Their admin could have easily forwarded all the new URLs so the search engines would have found them easier.
Yeah, they either recently moved some more stuff to the "new" server and/or the internal search function now works. I was able to find the stuff I had bookmarked earlier by using their built-in search, but it was a rather tedious process and did not have a 100% success rate on attached graphics and photos.

Oh well...
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

grich

Post by grich » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 am

Bill DeFelice wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:08 pm
Last print edition I got was March 1.
Same here.

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:05 am

I was just on the site to find out who to send a subscription-related email to. THAT was easy to find.

They now have something in the "Digital Editions" section but so far the only content seems to be "Inside the ... issue" items that are brief summaries, NOT entire issues. Totally useless to me. I did ask them to send me the print issues OR send me links to the full 20MB PDF files that are the real digital editions.

Whatever they did with the servers was just plain dumb. The least they could have done was maintain the old server while bringing up the new one, not to just switch from a nice full-featured web site to a plain-jane site that's missing 95% of the stuff that was on the old one.

I'll let you know what they reply with. Stay tuned; same Bat-time, same Bat-channel.

Bob M.

Mike Phillips

Post by Mike Phillips » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:13 am

Maybe there's a good opportunity for competition. Removing the PDFs was really dumb.

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Well, after 3 hours I got a response from NewBayMedia's circulation department. According to their records, my last renewal was in March 2015 so they stopped sending issues to me at the end of 2017. I know I've mailed back every subscription post card I've received, but who knows if they ever get back to them, or what they do with them at that point. Also they had a real old email address for me that I haven't used in probably 7-10 years. Perhaps that was a blessing in disguise.

Anyway, they provided links to the five 2018 issues, which I retrieved and saved as PDF files. They also provided a link to a pre-filled-in subscription form that I finished and submitted, so hopefully I'll start receiving printed issues next month. I did ask for a link to this week's issue when it becomes available.

I didn't know until I submitted my renewal form that "digital editions" are "sent" out as a link to a file. They apparently don't send the huge file via email, just the link. That's an acceptable format for me and I told them they could change my preference to digital rather than printed editions if they wanted to save some money on printing and mailing.

Now I have to sit back and read this year's issues.

Bob M.

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:44 am

"The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!" (from Steve Martin's "The Jerk")

I actually got an email from the circulation/subscription person yesterday with a link to the March 14 2018 issue of RW.

Paul McLane said they're slowly putting content back on the site. How far back is unknown. It seems to be 2018 only so far.

Bob M.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 am

Most of the individual articles are there (at least the ones I searched for) but not at their previous URLs which of course breaks any bookmarks. For example: https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-bus ... g-one-site from 2013.

I have yet to see any archived issues.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 am

My original write-ups of StationPlaylist automation from 2007 and my product review of the Arrakis ARC-10 from 2008 is back, but I noticed with older content they removed my name as author from the article. My author's page only shows newer content of two guest commentaries and a recent product review, all of which have my name as author's credit still intact.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net