Tomato Soup Incident

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
Jim Sofonia

Tomato Soup Incident

Post by Jim Sofonia » Wed May 23, 2018 3:07 pm

While carrying a very hot cup of Tomato Soup I got a little splashed, very hot hurt my hands, lost balance and fell onto my tv tray cart. I broke the tray and the soup went everywhere, including into my Bluetooth speaker. It was dead, won't turn for more than 1sec. So I took it apart and scrubbed the circuits with a toothbrush with Isopropyl alcohol dried it out. It worked for a few tunes then go stuck on shutting off. I've thought of putting it in my foot massager which vibrates quite a bit kinda like a jewelery sonic cleaner. THE QUESTION IS: What should I put inn the bath, and would it be multiple sessions. The circuit board is about 2X4" and and all speakers and battery can be unplugged.

TPT

Re: Tomato Soup Incident

Post by TPT » Wed May 23, 2018 5:13 pm

1. Buy a new Bluetooth

2. Next time carry your soup cup on a plate.

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Thanks for the high tech info. My wife said to do the plate thingy too.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed May 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Jim,

Since tomato juice is supposed to wash away skunk scent, maybe it works in reverse... You just have to catch and milk the skunk.

All useless, funny visions aside... A good bath in a mild soapy water with a really good rinse in clear water and a couple of days in the sun to dry will tell the tale. I have ran various contaminated circuit boards thru a cycle in our dish washer. Most of the time it works, sometimes not.

A toasted cheese samich and a good hot bowl of Campbells tomato soup are hard to beat...
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 pm

I suspect the battery voltage sensing circuit is all confused. Can you get at the battery connection? It may just need some cleaning.

Your best bet is pure isopropyl alcohol followed with a clean de-mineralized water rinse followed by a few hours in the oven at around 120°F. If you have PC board cleaner (like what is used to remove solder flux) give it a scrub with that, looking for the telltale signs of corrosion (white haze, etc.). Tomatoes are acidic which means any residue will be probably be conductive.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Thu May 24, 2018 7:13 am

From now on:
No Soup for You!
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu May 24, 2018 5:22 pm

KPJL FM wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:13 am
From now on:
No Soup for You!
If I could "like" a post here, this would be it...
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri May 25, 2018 8:00 am

Sounds like"soup to nuts" to me. :roll:

For you young guys-----that's from the "dark ages", before TV.

Fossi

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Fri May 25, 2018 6:30 pm

I wonder if the soup is/was less toxic to the PC board than the incident I heard, which was when a jock dumped a large orange juice into a PR&E BMX console. Took out the entire backplane and then some. Luckily it wasn't at any of my stations.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat May 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Bill DeFelice wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:30 pm
I wonder if the soup is/was less toxic to the PC board than the incident I heard, which was when a jock dumped a large orange juice into a PR&E BMX console. Took out the entire backplane and then some. Luckily it wasn't at any of my stations.
Coffee can be quite toxic to BMXs as well, as proven by a certain morning host. It kept working, mostly, so they kept going for another 3 hours or so at which time I happened to enter the studio and it smelled like a chemical factory! The voltage bus bar board was being eaten alive.

Had to tear down the whole console to replace it. Whole job took about 20 or 23 hours including a trip to the airport to pick up a rush-shipped replacement board.

The chief took a blow torch to the old board in order to make it look even worse and had a trophy made out of it which we awarded to said morning host at the Christmas party!
-Mike Shane- -Omaha-

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat May 26, 2018 3:50 pm

So this begs a question. I had a similar electronics-drowning incident where I left my car key/fob for my 2012 Fiat 500 Sport in a pair of jeans which I washed. Didn’t notice it was in there until it announced itself in the dryer with all the banging around it produced. (There were some other items in the pocket too which fully recovered.)

So I removed the battery, scrubbed the visible battery terminals, blew some canned air into it, and let it dry a day or two.

Now it works but it runs the battery out quickly. Within hours instead of years.

It doesn’t look possible to remove the circuit board without breaking the case open but part of it is visible with the battery hatch/holder removed so I have entertained the notion of spraying some Chem-wash circuit board cleaner in there and hope it reaches and cleans the problem area. The only stuff I have handy is Cramolin which would not be my first choice.

Any recommendations? (I have 2 spares but this is the only one of the 3 on which the attached ignition key fully seats into the fob, keeping it from catching on pockets.)
-Mike Shane- -Omaha-

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue May 29, 2018 12:34 am

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:38 pm
I have ran various contaminated circuit boards thru a cycle in our dish washer. Most of the time it works, sometimes not.
"sometimes not" meaning I get caught. :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue May 29, 2018 12:37 am

Shane wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:50 pm
Didn’t notice it was in there until it announced itself in the dryer with all the banging around it produced.
Which I suppose had heated it up pretty good? I'm guessing if so, the tiny little SMD components have changed value and washing it out won't fix it.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue May 29, 2018 8:27 am

It wasn’t in the dryer long. :roll: It will work; it just won’t shut itself down or has something else going on that drains the battery.
-Mike Shane- -Omaha-

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Tue May 29, 2018 5:36 pm

ChuckG wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:34 am
kkiddkkidd wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:38 pm
I have ran various contaminated circuit boards thru a cycle in our dish washer. Most of the time it works, sometimes not.
"sometimes not" meaning I get caught. :lol:
As they say in the political world... The coverup is worse than the crime. Especially when Connie finds the dishwasher strainer stopped up with wire markers, electrolytic wrappers and mouse turds.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com