WWV WWVH

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
ncradioeng

WWV WWVH

Post by ncradioeng » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:47 am

Jim Sofonia

Re: WWV WWVH

Post by Jim Sofonia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Antiquated technology now very obsolete. I used to use the service 60 years ago as a short wave listener but that is long gone. The signal is lousy in many parts of the country. The last try at using the service was the WWV "atomic" clocks that Brookstone used to sell 20 years ago, and they never worked very well. We now have widespread dissemination of time by way of the internet, GPS, and many of the satellites have time coded channels.
Of course as always whenever the government wants to end a program someone overstates it's importance and drags it on.

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 pm

It doesn’t mention the VLF stations. Suppose they’ll stay?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 am

I'm curious about the telephone service, which I frequently use as a "sanity check" of NTP installations & GPS clocks.

The article says "NIST said eliminating funding currently “supporting fundamental measurement dissemination...” which leads me to believe they do mean everything that has to do with disseminating time, including VLF and telephone.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:26 am

IIRC, there was a Canadian time station just above 7.3 mHz (40M). think it was CHU - Dominion Observatory, Canada. I liked it better than the WWV as it gave the time every minute. Is that one still operational? Or like me, slowly fading away, but picking up speed???

Fossil

ncradioeng

Post by ncradioeng » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:15 am

WWVB on 60kHz is used to sync the "atomic" clocks.

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:30 am

We have an old Oregon Scientific WWVB-synced clock that won’t pick up the sync signal unless we put it out on a west-facing window sill and manually force it to sync, adjusting the loaded wire antenna until it registers the signal, then come back about 5 minutes later and it’s ready.

Everyone has decided it’s less trouble to just set in manually. Especially the 2nd of the two we have since someone thought the antenna was an annoyance and cut it off! Doh!

I believe CHU was on 7335 kHz. I think the last time I tuned it in a few years ago or so, they had moved slightly up in freq. They also had a freq around 3300 kHz and another somewhere around 14 or 15 MHz but don’t know if either are still in use nor the exact freqs.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:41 am

CHU is indeed still bangin' away. I use it to set my watch when I can't get WWV.

I find their "top of minute" time pip a little harder to anticipate when setting time devices, because it comes right after the time announcement. WWV is a little easier because there is a second or two after the announcement, before the "beep".

CHU is on 3330/ 7850/ 14670 kHz.

I will hate to see WWV go away...I guess we just have to gracefully surrender the things of youth (birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan...)

rftranstv

Post by rftranstv » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:43 am

If all the GPS satellites fall out of the sky or get jammed by China we are screwed!!!

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 pm

awsherrill wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:41 am
(birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan...)
:mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:29 am

The lack of 5/10/15 MHz WWV service will mean the end of my Heathkit GC1000 Most Accurate Clock, as that's my primary time device in the house. Yes it draws a lot of power. Yes it gets hot. But you can see those nice red LEDs in a dark room, unlike all the other LCD or analog atomic clocks out there.

Boo Hiss.

Bob M.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:03 am

kcbooboo wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:29 am
The lack of 5/10/15 MHz WWV service will mean the end of my Heathkit GC1000 Most Accurate Clock, as that's my primary time device in the house. Yes it draws a lot of power. Yes it gets hot. But you can see those nice red LEDs in a dark room, unlike all the other LCD or analog atomic clocks out there.

Boo Hiss.

Bob M.
With the current low sunspot numbers, the WWV signals have been my only friend on the bands... They get a little monotonous after a while but better than listening to the megawatt LIDS on 14.313...

What shall I do now for entertainment...
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

RGORJANCE

Re:What shall I do now for entertainment...

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00 am

Well, I always thought it was fun to watch equipment blow up. Besides, it helped the income side of the ledger look good. Also kinda got the adrenalin flowing if you just happened to be leaning against the xmttr when the lightning hit! Not to mention the other effect you had not experienced since you got out of diapers!

Then, there's always 11 meters. Lotsa comedic relief there with echo chambers, tall tales, etc.

Fossil

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:07 am

CHU is on 3330/ 7850/ 14670 kHz.

7850-7335=515 kHz. I reckon that’s more than a “slight” freq shift! Would put it out of the tuning range of some of the older “ham-only” receivers. I had an HQ-110. EVERYthing not ham was out of range for that, even 7335. (Except on 20,15,& 10 meters where there was a little extra coverage.)

I cannot remember when I last set a clock to WWV/CHU. Easily more than 10 years ago.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:13 am

Just a bit off the topic......

Quite a few years ago my wife bought me a wrist watch that has a couple of nice features. It is a Casio that has a solar charging feature and the time update is from a satellite. It has been amazingly robust as I tend to be pretty hard on watches, and really hangs tight to correct time. Very reasonably priced,

I do notice that in the winter when my long sleeve shirts cover the solar cell and prevents it from charging, it sometimes "goes to sleep" and needs to sit in the sun for a bit to recover. Basically, I think it just shuts the LCD off. It has never "gone bonkers".

With the cell companies keeping the cell phones on time, the HF service need has really not been that heavy.

Fossil