Replace Car Radio Antenna?

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
Jim Sofonia

Replace Car Radio Antenna?

Post by Jim Sofonia »

I just bought a 2008 Dodge Nitro, great car and looks.I like it a lot. It came with a Am/Fm/DVD radio and has satellite radio too. The antenna is a puny rubber duck mounted on the rear of the roof. Seems to work ok but could it be better if I install a 30" whip on the fender? I don't use the satellite radio.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Replace Car Radio Antenna?

Post by NECRAT »

My Jeep has one of those smaller antennas but it receives very well. I haven't had any less than stellar performance with it.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Shane

Post by Shane »

Me, too with the duck on my Fiat. AM reception is superb and noise isn’t much of a, if any, factor. This is a Bose stereo system though and not the stock radio.

(AM is still limited severely in freq response but selectivity and sensitivity are good. Not too susceptible to overload near AM towers. FM works pretty good too. Satellite is just ok.)
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —

TheCircuitMan

Post by TheCircuitMan »

On my '01 Mercedes, I believe the duck is used solely for the (defunct) factory GPS, Tele-Aid/SOS, and integrated phone. The AM/FM/WB reception is handled with diversity antennae in the rear glass, and that setup has never given me trouble. Given that your Nitro is a DaimlerChrysler product, it might be the same way.
Young-buck television engineer in Texas.
"Prior proper planning prevents piss-poor performance."

COMMENG

Post by COMMENG »

Jim Sofonia wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:09 pm
I just bought a 2008 Dodge Nitro, great car and looks.I like it a lot. It came with a Am/Fm/DVD radio and has satellite radio too. The antenna is a puny rubber duck mounted on the rear of the roof. Seems to work ok but could it be better if I install a 30" whip on the fender? I don't use the satellite radio.
The older radios used a whip antenna and a 90 ohm coax between the antenna and radio input port and were tuned using slug tuned coils while the later ones used Varactors.

You might try emanualsonline and search for your vehicles service manual which includes the electrical wiring and it should show what the antenna or antennas feed.

COMMENG