Burk ARC-16 ESI Card

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
Larry Milliken

Burk ARC-16 ESI Card

Post by Larry Milliken »

Do any of you have a schematic of the Burk ARC-16 ESI card? I have a couple of cards needing repair. One has distorted audio and the other will not answer incoming calls. A diagram would greatly help. Thanks.
RGORJANCE

Re: Burk ARC-16 ESI Card

Post by RGORJANCE »

Larry:

I looked thru the docs. I had, but there wasn't a schematic.

Your ESI units might be ok. Read the following:

I have 6 ARC-16 units in several of the stations I service. Our land lines on a three of them went away as the phone companies didn't want to replace a major cable in the rural areas that deteriorated. We switched three xmttr sites to cell and the problems stayed with us. The ARC-16 ESI card does not recognize the tones when going thru cell systems. The Burk answers, plays the message and upon entering the password, immediately hangs up. We get highly distorted tones thru the cell system. Their filtering alters those tones and the Burk barfs! If you are trying to use the Burk via cell service, you are probably not going to have any success. :evil:

Our next effort is to try the SINE System. There are component changes listed in service bulletins that might allow us to use it. Will report on that effort when I get the SINE to play with.

Fossil
Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook »

IIRC the ESI had its own manual, but I do not have one in my collection of Burk manuals.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html
TPT

Post by TPT »

Have two sites using a "home phone" cell unit and a Sine with success. These are Verizon cell phones with a telephone jack and external antenna. Interestingly, the A.T. & T version doesn't work--Sine won't answer.
w4cl

Post by w4cl »

Do you have a ESI or ESI-CI? There are two different schematics? I have both in pdf format.
awsherrill

Post by awsherrill »

If the ESI will not answer incoming calls, but is otherwise working (calls out OK), the ring detect optoisolator may be bad. On the older boards this is a 4N35, socketed and pretty easy to find and replace.

I had a Burk remote control at one site that developed distorted audio on phone calls. Turned out the R/C was fine, problem was with the lightning protection device on the phone line ahead of the Burk.
Larry Milliken

Post by Larry Milliken »

W4cl I could use both pdf schematics if you would email them to larrymilliken94@gmail.com I would appreciate it. And thanks awsherrill for the tip about the optoisolator! Thanks everyone for the help. As you know Burk no longer supports these remote control units.

Larry
Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia »

I had a problem similar to yours on a ESI. I found the low value resistors (10 ohms I think) right at the input to the phone line had gone high in value, probably from a surge. Check those.
FirebirdTN

Post by FirebirdTN »

Old post, but if anyone has a copy could you please email it to FirebirdTN@hotmail.com

I've got an ARC 16 that the initial issue was it wouldn't answer the phone. I replaced the opto and now it answers fine, I can hear the modem attempt to establish a handshake, and then silence. No voice, no static, nada.

Bench testing reveals outgoing calls just fine. Hear the modem, voice, and issue touch-tone commands, etc. All works fine.

Thanks,

-Alan
W9PXZ

Post by W9PXZ »

Alan, I emailed you a set.

If anyone else needs them, drop me a note.
Mike Dinger
Wilmington, NC
FirebirdTN

Post by FirebirdTN »

Thank you Mike. I appreciate it very much!!!

-Alan
Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

Someone who has been through this with these things asked me to post the following:

"Change the 10 mfd electrolytics on the ESI board. They're prob open."
Audio coupling!
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com
FirebirdTN

Post by FirebirdTN »

Thought I'd report back to maybe save someone some future grief:

Initial symptoms was no answer. After replacing the opto-isolator, it would answer, you could hear the modem attempt a handshake, and then it would go silent. No voice greeting, no response to touch tone commands, just ... nothing.

Turns out, there wasn't anything else wrong!

I maintain a landline at the house, but it isn't a REAL pots line; its an 'emulated' pots line as the service actually rides along my cable internet service. Turns out, the ARC-16 doesn't like my phone line. Tested with a real phone line and works as it should.

So all that was wrong was the opto.

Thanks again everyone who chimed in.

-Alan
kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo »

A lot of VoIP phone systems don't like modem tones and do weird things with them. I have Vonage phone service and they offer FAX lines that somehow are friendlier to modem tones. I don't know what the difference between a voice line and a fax line is, but they charge more for the fax line (of course). It's not getting any better, with more and more phone systems going to concentrators and virtual central offices and all the call forwarding systems that are in use these days.

Bob M.
Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook »

kcbooboo wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:16 amA lot of VoIP phone systems don't like modem tones and do weird things with them
That is because VoIP phone systems almost always do lossy compression using a bit reduction algorithm, so the modem signal that comes out is not the same as the one that went in, and the receiving modem cannot extract the data from the now-corrupted modem signal.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html