AM Frequency Change

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
amradiosound

AM Frequency Change

Post by amradiosound »

Can an AM station change frequencies while maintaining its current city of license? Not sure if this is a major change and not allowed under current rules, but I am looking at purchasing a near death AM. It would be a daytime station going to another daytime frequency and only feasible if I could find a better signal.

I am trying to educate myself reading FCC rules, and at one point it appears as if you can only move up to 30 kHz from the current frequency (would not work for this station), but I find other language that looks as if you might be able to move anywhere if you maintain current city of license. I need someone much smarter than I to help me before I hire an engineer to do the real work. Thanks much for any guidance.
Shane

Re: AM Frequency Change

Post by Shane »

Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —
amradiosound

Post by amradiosound »

Yes, that is within the 30khz range it appears minor modification applications are allowed, that one is only 10kHz. Trying to determine if bigger moves would be allowed. I appreciate the link. Thank you.
w9wi

Post by w9wi »

Keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer & my engineering expertise is in TV...

It would seem 73.3571 https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/73.3571 is the relevant regulation.

The way I read it, a change is minor if it goes to a frequency within 30KHz and below 1610KHz. It must also propose the same city of license, or daytime facilities that are mutually exclusive with the existing daytime facilities. (73.37 https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/73.37)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
TPT

Post by TPT »

Essentially correct. Anything beyond that is a "major change," and can only be done during specific application windows opened by the FCC for this purpose. Which is not likely to happen in the near future.

I just bought a Class C AM. It wasn't off air, but was operating non-commercial with a religious talk format. And the church that owned it wanted the tower gone from their property. Howeve we already had an FM in the market, and the station came with two licensed translators. And we had enough land around our FM studio to put up a new tower for the AM. Still required considerable investment to get the station back where it has some sales.

So, unless a translator comes with this AM I would walk away. Or get the price low enough where you can afford to run it as a hobby.