Energy-Onix AM Transmitters, Opinions?

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
Deep Thought

Energy-Onix AM Transmitters, Opinions?

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Do any of you have experience with Energy-Onix AM transmitters? A client is looking at a Pulsar 25,000 and I have never actually run into one of these in the field. Their FMs were a little scary early on but their AMs are a complete mystery to me. Any feedback is welcome, and I need it rather quickly. Thanks.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

RGORJANCE

Re: Energy-Onix AM Transmitters, Opinions?

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 pm

I don't have any direct experience with the AM rig, but I did work with a station manager who was also manager in Holland, MI where they had one. Memory serves that they had reasonable good luck with it. Reliability was decent.

With the older vintage tube box, it probably was a bit weak on positive peaks. I am not aware if the current rig is tube, or solid state.

I have a 5kw FM Ox in Sheboygan that is in the process of eating a tube after about 8-9 years of service. Crappy tube life - 24 hours/day 365/yr. You'd think I coulda got 10 years out of it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fossil

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks Bob. These are their current line of solid-state AMs. PDF catalog sheet

And yeah, you'd think that 10 years per tube would not be much to ask... :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

K4WRF

Post by K4WRF » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Yes I do and NO!

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:01 pm

I didn't know Energy-Onix was still in business.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks. I have not been able to find anyone using this transmitter (the 25,000 watt version at least) and that is not a good thing...

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:12 pm

I've worked on several of the ECO series FM's, but have never seen a Pulsar AM. The FM's are pretty good, basic transmitters if a bit flimsy in spots.
Problem is, or at least was- the schematics aren't necessarily representative of what's actually in the box. Sometimes you have to call Bernie to see what's what, and Bernie isn't a spring chicken anymore. When he's gone, so is everyone who knows anything about those transmitters.
He's it.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

jon zecherle

Post by jon zecherle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Deep Thought wrote:Do any of you have experience with Energy-Onix AM transmitters? A client is looking at a Pulsar 25,000 and I have never actually run into one of these in the field. Their FMs were a little scary early on but their AMs are a complete mystery to me. Any feedback is welcome, and I need it rather quickly. Thanks.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Interesting this got bumped.

Anyhow... I was recently blessed with a Pulsar 1000. From reading this forum, I've come to the belief this may represent 25% (or more) of the working installation base, here in the 'States. Before I got it, it evaded everyone's efforts to make it run at full power. It seems happiest with one PA module blown. It's run rock-solid in that condition for the last 8 months.

Other than that, its VSWR 'protection' is aggravating. This thing is on a unipole in Idaho, where the icing is impressive and VSWR goes all over the map. The transmitter treats this like a 2-shot overload in an old tube rig. Bang, Bang, and you're down. No foldback. Curious that the last owners didn't consider hooking the reset line and lower power levels to the remote control.

I have an AM-1A on the bench, so the Pulsar's days are numbered. A bit sad, in a way. Bernie may not have been too far off on this design. I can see it working pretty well, with a little care and support. But... the manual is typically out-of-date and the phone is no longer answered in Valatie. I'm in another state, so I guess it won't bother me too much to see this one go.

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:31 am

Not only is Energy-Onix gone, but reports are that the city of Valatie has seized the factory (something to do with tax incentives recapture).

So, if you have an Energy-Onix you are on your own as far as parts and service. Luckily I have both a spare blower and IPA for my ECO-4.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:56 am

Yep.

A shame that Bernie's legacy ended on that kind of note.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:10 pm

I thought sure Bernie shipped those Pulsar AM's off to some guy to fix, they weren't done in-house. I have no clue who that guy was.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:16 pm

I think that was Armstrong's little secret, but Bernie probably did it too.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:00 am

Deep Thought wrote:I think that was Armstrong's little secret, but Bernie probably did it too.
I've never worked on an Enegy-Onix, but I have worked on an Armstrong. Whoever that "some guy to fix" is, I'm glad I'm not him.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:05 am

Dale H. Cook wrote: I've never worked on an Enegy-Onix, but I have worked on an Armstrong. Whoever that "some guy to fix" is, I'm glad I'm not him.
I have worked on a Pulsar One and it is fairly unpleasant. Typical Bernie, it utilizes marginally rated parts, odd wiring and even odder logic. It originally had a 20 or 25A bridge in the main PS. The previous engineer replaced it numerous times and I finally replaced it with a 50A. No failures since then. The unit that I maintain has all of the 220vac back door fans wired in parallel but only a single pole breaker on one side of the power. The other side of the fans are tied hard to one power rail.

Trip the breaker, remove the back door, unplug the fan cable, brush the exposed connector with your elbow and ... After getting into it myself, I called Bernie for assistance with the root problem and mentioned the death trap breaker. He acknowledged that people bitched about it but said the single breaker would trip if something happened to the fans... RIP Bernie.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com