Maximum STA renewals ? Longest STA operation is ?

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
Fran3

Maximum STA renewals ? Longest STA operation is ?

Post by Fran3 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:47 am

Anybody know what the longest any AM station has operated on an STA?

And what the maximum number of STA's are? (I understand that you have to renew each 6-months.)

And, how flexible is the FCC in the event a small AM station that wants to continue to serve the community looks for a new transmitter/tower site after loosing there original site?

In this case it could be a long time since acceptable property and approvals are so difficult to obtain.

Thanks for any help.

Bill DeFelice

Re: Maximum STA renewals ? Longest STA operation is ?

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:27 am

My former AM, WMMM (now WSHU) has been operating under an STA since mid-2000's. The family who donated the station and license kept the property where the tower site was but agreed to let them use it for a set number of years before booting them off. Once that term ended the station has been operating off a dipole located adjacent to the former transmitter site, strung off the phone company's tower. I'd guess it has to be around 10 years or so for that.

edited to correct typo
Last edited by Bill DeFelice on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:20 am

WRFM, Muncie, IN. On STA since 9/2/99. WNBF in Binghamton, NY, was on an STA for around 10 years, I was told. Not sure of accuracy there but Fcc.gov shows a string of STAs over about 9 years. Didn't look to see if it was all for the same reason.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:04 am

I did a bunch of work on a DA in Memphis that had reportedly been on STA's for over 7 years. This wasn't a lost lease issue but just that they didn't want to spend the money to fix the site. It had LOTS of problems.

They eventually received an STA extension with the dreaded words "we don't anticipate issuing further STA's for this station" and finally decided to move. I was called in and began work but didn't get everything done before the site flooded for several weeks. I filed for and received another extension since work was underway and finished up soon after the water receded.

We also installed sample lines for MoM proofing at a station in Houston that had been on STA's for even longer. The station was in tolerance in all respects but the monitor points were never in due to new reradiators appearing every day.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Since Norm Miller retired there have been a number of FCC engineers processing these but lately they've been putting the screws to stations which are not making progress toward a regularly licensed operation like Norm used to. There are stations which have been on STAs more than not, and that's coming to an end. If you go two renewals (that's 18 months total) without getting anything done it'll probably mean you're on your last STA unless something else happens (like the flood mentioned above).
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Norm was very good to work with. He is the one that issued the "no further extensions" edict but when I called him to beg for another extension he said something to the effect that "sometimes we have to do something to get folks attention". He was happy that there had been progress in the repairs and extended it without further question.

Just before he retired, I talked to him and he was still working on Hurricane Katrina STA's... That was what about 2010 or 2011ish I think.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:08 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote: They eventually received an STA extension with the dreaded words "we don't anticipate issuing further STA's for this station" .
One of those landed on my desk just months after taking a job at WJMS-AM, late 1980's. Not exactly what the new guy wants to see. :shock:
The DA had been unstable and operating under STA for several years. The letter basically said " time's up, fix it or turn it off". I was the third guy through the doors in three years and apparently the FCC has sympathy for staff changes, but not unlimited amounts.
New sample system, repaired ground system, new caps in the phasor, new tower light wiring, welded one leg of WIncharger #1 solid and a month hauling a FIM though the woods later, things were back in business.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

HadYourPhil

Post by HadYourPhil » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:45 am

There are several AM's in Florida that have operated for years on STA's related to power increase/pattern change situations related to Cuban interference. Don't know if that will ever change.
We improve things by making them worse...

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:14 am

The President is trying to take care of that using your sign off message as the method: improving things by making them worse. :roll:
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

rfn

Post by rfn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:56 pm

I don't want to know how this played out.

As the cold war was winding down there was a proposed AM what would have put signal into a small, unpopulated area of The Soviet Union. FCC would have been cool with a CP if a waiver could be gotten from the Soviet agency handling that stuff. But there was no response because the agency had been disbanded and not replaced. Still, treaty terms weren't changed. After congressional intervention the FCC agreed to temporary licensing pending response from the Soviet agency that had ceased to exist. No agency; no response! I believe that at some point all the "temporary" BS quietly went away but I'm not at all interested in checking it out.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:42 pm

ChuckG wrote:One of those landed on my desk just months after taking a job at WJMS-AM, late 1980's. Not exactly what the new guy wants to see. :shock:
The DA had been unstable and operating under STA for several years. The letter basically said " time's up, fix it or turn it off". I was the third guy through the doors in three years and apparently the FCC has sympathy for staff changes, but not unlimited amounts.
New sample system, repaired ground system, new caps in the phasor, new tower light wiring, welded one leg of WIncharger #1 solid and a month hauling a FIM though the woods later, things were back in business.
@Chuck: Was this not initially repaired due to the owners not wanting to invest in the facility or was it that none of the previous engineers wanted to tackle it?
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:37 pm

Bill DeFelice wrote: @Chuck: Was this not initially repaired due to the owners not wanting to invest in the facility or was it that none of the previous engineers wanted to tackle it?
Bill.. I don't know. :lol: I had no trouble getting the necessary items purchased, but I had the benefit of the FCC setting a deadline.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin