Mystery Device in Main Studio

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
abwdvm

Mystery Device in Main Studio

Post by abwdvm » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:28 pm

I think this cuts monitor audio when the Mic button is pressed on the board, but I don't know for sure. Any thoughts?

center of picture please

http://www.ksstradio.com/wp-content/upl ... C_0915.jpg
technician at an 1000w AM station in Texas

Deep Thought

Re: Mystery Device in Main Studio

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:26 pm

That's a power supply plugged into something. No way to know what it is hooked up to unless you trace the wires.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

dbuckley

Post by dbuckley » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:00 pm

abwdvm wrote:I think this cuts monitor audio when the Mic button is pressed on the board, but I don't know for sure. Any thoughts?
It certainly could do; its a box full of relays and a power supply. Though it looks quite scary, like the mains inlet is on the octal
socket the power unit plugs into, as well as the low voltage output feed for the relays, and all in close proximity to the audio connectors. An accidentally dropped screwdriver into that could be a very expensive oops.

In the internal picture the phono sockets are only connected to one relay, that at the bottom left, so that could (loose term) switch off the links between the phonos, but that leaves a lot of stuff unaccounted for, including a couple of transistors. Perhaps either a delay circuit, or a simple booster to reduce the load across the console's mic button contacts. There are also too many wires at the end so something else is going on.

Prime candidate for the skip.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:23 am

What was the name of the company that had octal plug-in devices that replaced tubes, relays, etc. back in the 80's?
I'm having a 'fossil' moment....

What ever it is/was used for, somewhere out there is/was an local engineer that (at the time) was very proud of his device.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

grich

Post by grich » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:13 am

KPJL FM wrote:What was the name of the company that had octal plug-in devices that replaced tubes, relays, etc. back in the 80's?
I'm having a 'fossil' moment....

What ever it is/was used for, somewhere out there is/was an local engineer that (at the time) was very proud of his device.
Are you thinking of Op-Amp Labs?