Are those Sono-Mag carousels in the background of one picture?

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!

kkiddkkidd

Re: Are those Sono-Mag carousels in the background of one picture?

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:00 am

Please tell me those things aren't still in use.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

abwdvm

Post by abwdvm » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:06 am

Not in use. They do power up and shuttle around. I have been removing wiring all last week for these beasts. Station called these units the 'Mother'.
technician at an 1000w AM station in Texas

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:18 am

If they are anything like the one and only set that I worked on briefly.... There was a very strong 4 letter word following Mother.

The set that I was called to look over and try to keep going long enough to get a Digilink in place was so physically worn out that the carousels would lock up without warning and cause all manner of havoc.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
KK Broadcast Engineering

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:09 pm

The broadcast museum might want a DP series SonoMag. That system looks like it has been rode hard and put up wet.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:31 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:If they are anything like the one and only set that I worked on briefly.... There was a very strong 4 letter word following Mother.
Yup. Usually with your thumb caught behind the tray in/out pin. I think they used surplus carnival ride motors on those things, there was no stopping them unless you could hit the power button in time.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

grich

Post by grich » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:52 pm

ChuckG wrote:
kkiddkkidd wrote:If they are anything like the one and only set that I worked on briefly.... There was a very strong 4 letter word following Mother.
Yup. Usually with your thumb caught behind the tray in/out pin. I think they used surplus carnival ride motors on those things, there was no stopping them unless you could hit the power button in time.
Somewhere on my hand I'm sure I have a scar from getting it caught in a tray while head cleaning. We had seven 250's and one 350. The pushbutton on-off switches on the 250's had gotten flaky and the previous engineer had just jumpered around them. Hit the Manual button and hope you could win the battle. The 250's would always advance one tray after a manual tray-out command. The 350 would tray-out without rotating.

Battling the DP-1 automation brain they were connected to was another kettle of fish...

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Gaaaaah! Flashbacks!! :shock:

Had four of the 350s and four of the originals (model 42?) connected to a DP-1. The oldies had been modified to be "random select" but sometimes had their own idea of which tray was which, and were a bit past their design tolerances with the other mechanicals as well. One liked to much a cart every week or so. It was relegated to emergency, sequential-only duty.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:21 pm

Deep Thought wrote: One liked to much a cart every week or so. It was relegated to emergency, sequential-only duty.
I had a bigger problem with the GoCarts breaking carts. If there was any goo or dirt on the side of the cart they'd stick in the tray. Or not slide back in..
3- SMC 250's at one station with Random Access mods, two Go Carts and in Instacart at another and two instacarts at a third. A Format Sentry and two IGM "RAM" systems.
Nothing like an Instacart traying-in 5 carts at once, all playing on the air and your only recourse is a stepper switch to kill them one by one.
Almost as fun as hitting STOP on a Scully 270 running high-speed rewind and finding the supply brake is in better shape than the takeup. What a mess.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:24 pm

I am really glad that none of my early clients could afford such things.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
KK Broadcast Engineering

grich

Post by grich » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:08 pm

ChuckG wrote:...Almost as fun as hitting STOP on a Scully 270 running high-speed rewind and finding the supply brake is in better shape than the takeup. What a mess.
Gaaaa!! More flashbacks!!!! :lol:

270 in full-tilt, floor-shaking rewind. Reel hub comes apart and a Bill Robinson Musicworks 10" reel meets its demise smashing against the wall, leaving a decent gash in the surface. Those motors had enough torque to easily sever a finger.

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Aaugghhhhh! Flashback.

Back in 1957 when I went to work as a studio engineer at KVOO in Tulsa, I had to record, for delay playback, the KC Athletics baseball game. We did this with a pair of PT-6'S that were equipped with 10 inch reel extenders. The first reel got started and when an hour was nearly up, we would go to the thing and wait for a pause in the chatter, where we would then throw the audio switch to the lower machine.

Well, I threw the switch and stopped the upper machine and then put into rewind. I think you might see where this is going. Having been very used to Ampex 300's, I decided to put the PT-6 into stop while there was still a bunch of tape on the take up spool. Have you ever seen brown snow????? i DIDN'T KNOW THERE WEREN'T ANY BRAKES ON THE LARGE EXTENDERS. WHOOOPS! I was stuffing my pockets with bits of tape and heading upstairs to the Ampex and splicing blocks. Miracles can happen. I got enough of it put together so we went from the announcers warmup directly into the first pitch. Only the announcer and I knew about it.

Fossil

Radio Ranger

Post by Radio Ranger » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:40 pm

Ah, the powerful PT-6! When I worked at KSIB-AM in Creston Iowa in the early 1960's the PT-6 was rack mounted perpendicular to the outside back door of the studio, and on lazy Sunday afternoons during the Lutheran (half) hour we used to pull a piece of tape off the supply reel out the door and clear down to the tower base, about 250 feet away, then tie on a piece of teletype paper to the end of the tape and when someone hit the rewind button on the maggie we'd race the tape back to the building---the Maggie always won.

At another station with a PT-6 the little twist on metal thingies that kept the reels in place were worn and would sometimes pop off on rewind. The program director posted a note on the machine that said "watch out for Maggie's flying tits"

grich

Post by grich » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Radio Ranger wrote:Ah, the powerful PT-6! When I worked at KSIB-AM in Creston Iowa in the early 1960's the PT-6 was rack mounted perpendicular to the outside back door of the studio, and on lazy Sunday afternoons during the Lutheran (half) hour we used to pull a piece of tape off the supply reel out the door and clear down to the tower base, about 250 feet away, then tie on a piece of teletype paper to the end of the tape and when someone hit the rewind button on the maggie we'd race the tape back to the building---the Maggie always won...."
The Maggies are long gone from Creston, but the manuals might still be in the file.
That building has changed a little since you were there. That control room area is now the shop, the AM transmitter, and storage. The original performance studio was carved up into the FM control room and newsroom. There are a few Carousels in their basement, but they're about to bite the dust as I clear them from the nice green racks they are in...the racks are about to embark on a new mission.

Radio Ranger

Post by Radio Ranger » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:51 pm

grich, I grew up in Creston and still get back there once in a while to visit relatives and once in a blue moon go out to visit Ben Walter and see what's different, so I've seen the changes. Last time back I toured Dean Thatcher's museum and looked at the old BC-1T from KSIB. When I left in 1968 the FM was still a Class A in the studio building. Lots of good memories from those days. I've written some further thoughts on the time I was there, if you're interested, get me your email address and I'll send them on to you.

Steve B