Are those Sono-Mag carousels in the background of one picture?

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
grich

Re: Are those Sono-Mag carousels in the background of one picture?

Post by grich » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Museum? You mean the old locker plant? I've been in there once. Their third AM box (MW-1) was also in there.. It would be funny if their first TX was in there too (RA-1000). Their current AM rig is a BE AM-1A, mounted in a green rack stolen from the old Sono-Mag automation.

Radio Ranger

Post by Radio Ranger » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Interesting note about the MW-1---I saw it in the back row of stuff, but didn't know that it came from KSIB. The RA-1000 was gone when I started hanging out at the station in 1962, but Dean Thatcher (the museum owner) has most of another RA-1000 in the basement of his house, and I believe that by now he's got the modulator section running as a giant audio amp!

What's the KSIB-FM transmitter? About 15 years ago a friend did an alternate inspection there and told me that it was a Harris something (20H3?) but when I toured the locker plant with Dean I noted that the power at the site is open delta for some reason---there's true 3 phase power on poles right out on the road. One less transformer is less expensive, I guess!

Radio Ranger

Post by Radio Ranger » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:42 pm

I saw the BE AM1 the last time I was there---it looks so tiny compared to the BC1-T and the Gates FM rig that used to live in that room. As I recall, it didn't have the (optional) tuning box--is that right?

Is the Kahn SymmetraPeak still living there? It baffled me as a kid, as there wasn't any AC power connection.

Steve B

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:05 pm

Yeah, the SymmetraPeak (at least the earlier versions) were just coils of wire on a ferrite rod. The way they were wound basically worked as an all-pass phase scrambler. I played with one at a client site where it was in the audio path on an RCA BTA-1R. It had some effect but I don't know if it was all Leonard said it was. :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

grich

Post by grich » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:51 am

No optional tuning box needed for the AM-1A. The antenna is stable, especially after the cloth-covered tower light cable was replaced and a drifty shunt cap in the ATU was replaced. Symettra-Peak might be buried on a shelf but I don't recall.

FM TX is Harris HT-10.

Power is indeed open-delta. :( Dean managed to blow the pole fuses once after making a mistake in the locker plant/museum, which is next to and shares the same pots as the FM site. This knocked the FM off the air since this was before the generator was installed. Good times...

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Deep Thought wrote:Yeah, the SymmetraPeak (at least the earlier versions) were just coils of wire on a ferrite rod. :
The (only) one I worked with weighed something like 40 lbs! in a 2U rack box. It did have a noticeable effect on voice, whether good or bad I'm not sure.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:27 pm

The stories I could tell about the Scully 270 reproducers and the Harris elevator cart playbacks I could write a book about dealing with the olde Gates stepper system I called Mother (F'er). Carts with the heads chopped off. Static electricity which made the Carousels into Gatling cart guns, the visiting corporate head from Rau Radio Stations getting 12 stitches when he got beaned by flying carts barfed at full force, and the battle scars he never lost. And then this 13 year old kiddo (engineering assistant and FM station automation babysitter getting to choose and install the Harris Stereo 80, and his trip to Quincy to Mother H for training. And getting to watch the Stereo 80 going through final assembly). Fun days.