Transformer Pair, this just seems wrong to me.

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
abwdvm

Transformer Pair, this just seems wrong to me.

Post by abwdvm »

Should I change this, or leave it be? Put it in a project box? Connects CD Player to Board

http://www.ksstradio.com/wp-content/upl ... C_0941.jpg
technician at an 1000w AM station in Texas
grich

Re: Transformer Pair, this just seems wrong to me.

Post by grich »

If it's just lying on the floor and it needs tidying up, I would take a small piece of sheet aluminum, and make it longer than the two transformers by an inch on either side. Drill holes in the aluminum so you can bolt the transformers onto it, while leaving "ears" on either end. Drill a hole in each ear and screw it to the backboard, cabinet, etc.

Might not hurt to redo the wires going to the transformers, either.

All the while, remember...if it ain't broke... :)
grich

Post by grich »

grich wrote:... Drill holes in the aluminum so you can bolt the transformers onto it, while leaving "ears" on either end. Drill a hole in each ear and screw it to the backboard, cabinet, etc. ...
Forgot to specify you would drill the holes in the aluminum to match the screw holes in each transformer's top. Most of the screws appear to be in place.
Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

They're used to convert from unbalanced to balanced, and should you decide to decommission them don't throw them away. They're worth as much as $100 each on fleabay! :lol:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com