Security Cam for AM site

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!

Security Cam for AM site

Post by sallen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:39 pm

This could apply to any TX site AM or FM but I work with 50KW am sites. I would like to add video surveillance to two sites. One is a stand alone 50KW site the other has two 50KW diplexed. Any suggestions on a good system that works at AM TX sites? Tips or tricks? Would like an 8 camera system. More interested in a good clear picture from cameras with no AM artifacts. Something currently available, price under 2K$ Thanks!

Re: Security Cam for AM site

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:13 am

I have a number of the cheap Foscam and Amcrest IP cameras with BlueIris software here on the Radio Ranchito. The computer does require some horsepower if you are running a bunch of cameras but the BI software is amazing for the price. I am using some of them wired and some wireless. I have over 20 camera's scattered around over 74 acres.

Will they work in the presence of 100kw of RF? Who knows but they are only about $75-$120ea. BlueIris is about $60. I am running BI on an I7 computer that just loafs running 20+ cameras and the UBNT monitoring suite.

I forgot to mention that the 3 & 4 mp cameras usually give good enough pictures to read tag numbers in the daylight and often in the IR light as well.
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
AM Ground Systems Company
KK Broadcast Engineering

Re: Security Cam for AM site

Post by W2XJ » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:44 am

If you use fiber, most potential RFI issues go away. Fiber is pretty cheap these days.