317c1 parts

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
sallen

317c1 parts

Post by sallen » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Taking a 317c1 1976 vintage apart. If you need parts to keep one running let me know. Caps and coils in good shape overall in good shape. Tubes pulled right out of socket and left the socket intact. Solid state drives card available.

Also have 317c2 cards available.

They don't build them like that any more. But I'll enjoy the NX50 when it gets here.

Deep Thought

Re: 317c1 parts

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:53 am

You'll also enjoy the 50% reduction in the power bill. :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:21 pm

Not to mention the extra sleep...
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

sallen

Post by sallen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:19 am

Have an NX50 at another site running MDCL, Wondering how I will heat the buildingin the winter. already running a Nautel nd50 as the main now and a continental 317c2 backs it up. the c1 transmitter has not run in over 10 years, the NX50 will sit were it is.

rfn

Post by rfn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Oh, gee...thanks!

In a few months I'll be installing an NX25 to replace a 20-year old ND25 and hadn't given any thought to heating since the ND and the weather service 1-kW have kept things toasty down to -30 (yes, minus 30F) and occasionally a little cooler.

Wanted to do it earlier but late delivery andearly snow made that impossible until maybe May/June.

Meanwhile, ND has a Nautel MDCL kit on it. Initial installation cost some of the coverage to really remote audience but things have progressed and power output has fallen off for no readily ascertainable reason. Too late in the game now to put much effort into more troubleshooting, particularly given the difficulty of accessing the site.

Come spring we'll have an ND25 available but transportation factors probably make it worth only parting out. One good thing that'll be up for sale: A near complete Nautel recommended spares kit specific to ND25 but mostly common with kit for ND50s) from screws/washer through various solid state devices and even cooling fans. It's a bit of an oddity in that it was custom-assembled with the RF output cabinet on the right end - usually on the left.

If any interest, send me PM and I'll put you in touch with management.

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 am

I have a NX25 in a well insulated lower midwest building and I do need to supplementally heat the building. I find it funny the ND10 back-up TX emits more heat than the NX25.

That siad, I can cool outside 95 deg. drybulb temp with an 80 deg. wet bulb (dew point) by only a single 3 tonne air conditioner running nameplate power!!! (I have two of them on site just in case...) In fact as I think some, I could possibly loose a tonne and still keep the building cool!!

I will say Grainger sells a Dayton 8KW 3 phase wall mount heater which does a very nice job of keeping the building warm even at -10 deg. As I recall, it is very inexpensive for what it does.

One bit of advice....if you do have bigger cooling plant(s) from an old tube TX, consider replacing with at least one smaller properly sized unit. You will easily overcool the space and not manage humidity at all needing to add reheat when the dew point hits 70 inside. Reheat is exceptionally inefficient...and costly. With 3 tonne mini-splits now running less than $4K, that should be a no brainer.

And if you ran outside air before, well...all I can say is you need to get one of those mini-splits and place it behind the TX. Newer TX's don't take well to lots of moisture laden air.

RG

sallen

Post by sallen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:01 am

This is a legacy AM transmitter site built it 1941. Very big transmitter room, original transmitter was a Western Electric 407A. Original heat was steam radiators. Now its a gas Reznor room heater.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:54 am

radio_guru wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 am
that should be a no brainer.
Indeed.

A client out west where the temp routinely exceeds 100°F removed one 30 year old monster 3 ton AC from the roof and replaced it with two 2 ton mini splits, and has them set 10 degrees apart. This is in a small building with two 5 KW solid state AMs, an SX5 and an XR6 both running 24/7. Since only one of the AC units runs most of the time he swaps which one is set lower every 6 months. Not only are the transmitters happier, the electric bill dropped 25% and has paid for the two of them in two years, AND he can run at least one of them on generator if necessary. The old beast would overload the genny unless he dropped both stations to 1 KW.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:11 pm

There are still those who would happily take a whole 317 C1 in tact. Being that your building has ample space, you could leave it sit until someone came and picked it up and paid a few bucks. OR you could let it sit with a manual power disconnect and a manual coax patch and let it sit off line for last resort disaster recovery.

sallen

Post by sallen » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 am

There is a 317c2 that's been on ebay for ever with no takers. But in taking the 317c1 apart, ideas for it's re use have come to mind.

1- it makes a great photo booth! the c1 has a dutch like door on the right side.
2- use it for a stage prop for my comedy rootine, 10 things the factory told me not to do, think laugh in when the comedians were behind those panel doors.
3- make a Rube Goldberg machine.
4- use the pieces to make high end art and sell for $$$
5- Make one of the cabinets a Studio door passage!
6- use another section as a voice over booth.
7- Put the three cabinets on pontoons and make a party barge, use the plate transformer as anchor.

Have to admit that its been fun having the gutted cabinet as a photo booth, had to relight the inside.

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:57 am

Hmmmmmmm.........boat anchor, security barrier, haunted house..... :roll:

Fossil

sallen

Post by sallen » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:40 am

It may have some use in the Big and little screen.

-Get BBC to replace the phone booth in Doctor Who with a 317c cabinet, or all 3.
-remake the Movie "Up" using the 317c
-Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, could be used as Grandfathers small shack that gets lifted in the air, cage for Children, even a 317c Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
-Poseidon Adventure, need I say more!

Or put it on the frame of a Motor home, or a trailer and make a tiny home.
-Make a tiny house boat
-Make an espresso stand
-Small cabin in the woods
-Out House and outdoor shower, using all 3 cabinets.

If you don't have a 317c you may be able to use an MW50.