T'was like putting a beloved old dog to "sleep"

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
velvet

T'was like putting a beloved old dog to "sleep"

Post by velvet » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Back home tonight and still sad.

Had to lay to rest and old friend - a 21 year old Nautel ND25.
A long-deceased friend (human) and I installed it in a remote Alaskan community in 1997.

In its place is new NX25. About 1/2 the size, MDCL capability built in, lower power consumption and a spiffy user interface with not a meter in sight.

Cooling requirements so low that it may be necessary to add a heating system to the site. Something never needed even when it was -50 F outside and the wind was pushing 90-knots.

Factory rep assessed the ND - pronounced it worthless but for parting out. Shipment from remote location prohibitively expensive for even a hobbyist.
Saved the power amps, exciters, ceramic caps and the (6) rectifier sub-assemblies (heat sinks each with 4 massive diodes) Also the complete spares kit right down to the fans. Funny thing - the rep told us to save the mating connectors for the PAs - apparently a bit of a weak point and no longer available. The parts likely have value to anyone with an ND-series transmitter of any size but there's nobody "local" to market them or even to pack/ship them. So, useless.....but they'll linger and maybe someday somebody might need parts bad enough to come and get them (at some nominal price). The carcass went to a recycler who picked it up at no cost....value in that because hiring a fork-lift, truck and a couple of operators would have run to about $1700 plus dump charges.

It's nice but I miss seeing meters. A touch-screen just seems WRONG on an AM transmitter.

Deep Thought

Re: T'was like putting a beloved old dog to "sleep"

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:14 am

At least that one has a touch screen. The lower power versions just have a little bitty generic LCD screen/button assembly in that big space where the touch screen is.

You might want to get in touch with Mike Patton, who may be interested in the ND bits.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:54 pm

Can those be metered and controlled without the touchscreen/display? For transmitters on the 30 year replacement cycle, parts like that make me nervous.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:02 pm

There is traditional remote analog metering and control, IP web-based control which duplicates the front touch screen, and a button panel inside the unit to manually control it locally if the screen dies.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

sallen

Post by sallen » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:47 am

I just installed a new NX50 in April replacing a 1997 ND50. The ND 50 is still in good shape so it is now the backup. 90% of the electrolytic have been replaced and overall runs fine. But I have one module (now the spare) with a bad RF connector. My company may be interested in a PA assembly and matting RF connector/cable that went to the combiner and a spare fan. Contact me and lets wee what we can do.

I have a 317c2 as the deep backup. I left the filaments on for 4 hours and generated more heat than the NX50 put out.

rfn

Post by rfn » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Just tried sending a PM but it didn't seem to go.Pls reply if it didn't and we'll work on alternatives. Mating connectors were cut off harnesses with about 18-inch pigtails.

Scott.Cason

Post by Scott.Cason » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:56 pm

velvet wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 pm

It's nice but I miss seeing meters. A touch-screen just seems WRONG on an AM transmitter.
yes, I used to think so too. Until I started working with Nautel transmitters. I don't miss them anymore.
LaGrange Communications - http://www.lagrange-com.com
Froggy 95.9 - http://froggy959.net/