AM Digital NPRM

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
dd92251

Re: AM Digital NPRM

Post by dd92251 »

The Large Corporate Groups may have a few "throw away" medium wave stations that they could afford to play with Digital Modulation on. But I don't see them abandoning a revenue producing AM modulated station just to experiment, the profit margins on radio are a bit too thin for that.

We've been thru this before with AM Stereo back in the 1980's. The only way Digital Modulation will be adopted on the medium wave band is if its mandated.

I honestly forsee the day when Car Radios won't even have an AM radio in them, ... My 30yr old son doesnt even listen have the AM/FM radio connected in his car...he streams from his phone or listens to a USB stick.
Shane

Post by Shane »

the city grade contour would be re-established
... but ONLY for the already digital-capable receivers, so that’s only a partial, less-than-half restoration at the moment..
listens to a USB stick
Hope he knows to get off the stick if severe weather is threatening!
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

dd92251 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:20 pm The Large Corporate Groups may have a few "throw away" medium wave stations that they could afford to play with Digital Modulation on. But I don't see them abandoning a revenue producing AM modulated station just to experiment, the profit margins on radio are a bit too thin for that.
Hubbard did that with WWFD-AM. The station got to the point where it didn't contribute anything to the bottom line, so they threw caution to the wind in order to be a pioneer by going full MA3. In my commute, I listen to it every morning. Even though I'm commuting in the day field strength fringe, the station still performs pretty well. Granted, I don't always care for their eclectic music choices, but the fact that it's the first full time MA3 station, makes it worth putting up with the odd ball format.
dd92251 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:20 pm
I honestly forsee the day when Car Radios won't even have an AM radio in them, ... My 30yr old son doesnt even listen have the AM/FM radio connected in his car...he streams from his phone or listens to a USB stick.
That day started in 2018. My wife's Tesla Model 3 doesn't have an AM tuner, probably because of all the noise the electronics generate. The AM tuner in the Nissan Leaf is useless for no doubt similar reasons. Ford stopped equipping some of their higher-end in-car systems with AM tuners, including newer Lincolns. Word is Honda has eliminated AM tuners in all their 2020 models.
Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia »

What happened to the FCC ruling a while back that all radios had to have AM capabilities simular to TVs had to get UHF?
COMMENG

Post by COMMENG »

What happened to the AM Stereo preference for the expanded band as stated in Note 5?

§ 73.30 Petition for authorization of an
allotment in the 1605–1705 kHz
band.

...NOTE 5: The preference for AM stereo in
the expanded band will be administered as
follows:.....

COMMENG
w9wi

Post by w9wi »

Jim Sofonia wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:07 pm What happened to the FCC ruling a while back that all radios had to have AM capabilities simular to TVs had to get UHF?
That's a pretty common urban myth:) The FCC doesn't believe it has the power to require radio receivers to include AM. The All-Channel Receiver Act explicitly cites television.
...apparatus designed to receive television pictures broadcast simultaneously with sound...
and
...all frequencies allocated by the Commission to television broadcasting...
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STA ... -Pg150.pdf
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STA ... -Pg151.pdf

It doesn't grant the FCC any power to regulate AM or FM radios.

In 2008 a "Radio All Digital Channel Receiver Act" was introduced. It would have required any receiver that tuned both satellite and either AM or FM to also receive HD. It wouldn't have had any effect on radios that received only satellite, or only FM. In any case, the bill was never enacted. Best I can tell, it was never introduced in the Senate.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
TPT

Post by TPT »

And this is what makes all-digital radio impractical. Mostly a toy for those larger groups with a throw-away AM they can play with.

While some higher-end SUV's (and hardly anyone drives sedans anymore) may have HD radios, most cars don't. Neither my Chevy Malibu nor my business partner's Honda Accord (both around 4 years old) have HD. More to the point, turnover is slow--I've heard various figures, but the average age of the national auto fleet is pegged at anywhere from 7 to 12 years old.

And those high-end car drivers likely have XM/Sirius available as a factory option. As well as Blue Tooth connections.

Hard to visualize what one could program on an all digital AM to compete with all those choices.
RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE »

I have stayed in the background on this as I have a rather O.F. opinion, and will more than likely stir up some comments. I think this is going to follow the same path as the old AM Stereo stuff.

As that famous cartoon character so eloquently puts it...."Phhhhhhhtttttttt"!!!

However, in order not to offend too many modern thinking folks, I will try to keep a partially open mind to all digital AM.

Grumpy old Fossil
Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia »

RGORJANCE wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:40 am I think this is going to follow the same path as the old AM Stereo stuff.
Grumpy old Fossil
True, I agree. Even the cars that do have AM are a chore to find the "AM band" switch.
I've worked a lot with AM directionals and I reluctantly say today they are not worth all the work it takes to keep them legal etc.

Might as well find another use for the band, and put the AMs on ch. 6 and other places.
NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

Jim Sofonia wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:28 pm
Might as well find another use for the band, and put the AMs on ch. 6 and other places.
Channel 6 is an active channel in the forever shrinking Television Table of Allotments. This is not happening.
With the recent loss of 100MHz of spectrum, the last thing we need is to lose another channel.

This whole thread, however is getting to be a badly beaten dead horse and hopefully will come to an end soon.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer/Tower Photographer
Boston area.
https://www.necrat.us, https://www.scan-ne.net/

"If you don’t think you’re good, nobody else will" - Tom Laun (RIP)."