CSP phasor controller

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
mbrockm

CSP phasor controller

Post by mbrockm »

Need some help understanding a CSP phasor controller for KYFR. Hoping someone seen this design before. The control relays make sense. The phasor control switches between Day and Night modes for 4 towers. I verified it is switching all 4 tower contactors properly between modes. Transmitter interlock closes in night mode but not day mode. In night mode I am seeing 24 volts on the open position switches which seems normal. In Day mode I see only 8 volts on the open position switches. Odder still if I open or short the position lines (day or night mode) it does not change the interlock status. If all the position interlocks are open the interlock should disable the transmitter, right? Trying to understand how the controller interlock works or does this design even look at the RF switch position interlocks? There are several diodes in the unit but without a diagram I am not getting what there function is in the design. Thanks
Mark Brockmeyer
Attachments
20200520_120841.jpg
Mark Brockmeyer
KMA Engineering
rich wood

Re: CSP phasor controller

Post by rich wood »

Did you verify the underground cable integrity?
Kurt Gorman at Phase Tek, may be able to help with understanding the switcher.
https://www.phasetekinc.com/
grich

Post by grich »

On the 50-year-old Multronics controller I care for, 120VAC is used for position status. If I recall correctly, the interlock relay closes only when 120V is returned from the contactors at the towers and in the phasor.

I wonder if some failure is pulling down the status voltage in day mode. Are the indicators all showing proper tower switching?

I assume you've already tested all of the diodes. They may be for steering or isolation.
dd92251

Post by dd92251 »

My experience with Phasor Controllers has led me to check all the Microswitches at the Tower Antenna Contactors. These little red microswitches will sometimes go bad or shift position and not make contact when the antenna contactor moves . Only if all the microswitches are engaged for each mode ( Day or Nite ) at all towers, will the controller close the Interlock on the transmitter. This keeps the transmitter from coming on if there is a problem with antenna contactors going bad.
mbrockm

Post by mbrockm »

The control and position sensing is all from the same 24 volt supply in the controller. 240 volts is used at the RF switches for switching. Where in the controller the 8 volts is coming from i need to determine. Only present in the DAY position otherwise I see the expected 24 volts. I Will need to check all the diodes.

I sent an email to phasetek. Hopefully they can tell me which diodes do what.
Mark Brockmeyer
KMA Engineering
grich

Post by grich »

Those paralleled resistors in the middle of the cabinet sure look like hell, too.
awsherrill

Post by awsherrill »

Mark, I have a five-tower CSP controller at one of my sites (early 80s vintage) that looks similar to yours, and I have schematics. I'm on vacation till next week but I can probably send you something when I get back.
kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd »

grich wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 am Those paralleled resistors in the middle of the cabinet sure look like hell, too.
And judging by the value written under them, I would suspect this is not the first time that they have burned to hell...
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com
mbrockm

Post by mbrockm »

I did get diagrams from CSP which cleared up the mysteries of box and interlock. System uses diode logic in a negative logic arrangement. An RF switch in the wrong position causes an interlock. What I don't like is if the connection to any RF switch is cut (open) the interlocks don't report a problem regardless of switch position. Once I had that figured out I tracked down 2 problems. One RF switch was not changing modes due to an open solenoid and the wiring to that RF switch had been chewed thru giving some very odd indications back at the transmitter building. It said it was in night mode when actually it was stuck in Day mode. Made the repairs to the wiring and RF switch which restored normal operation. Probably need to replace all the diodes in the logic gates eventually. also plan to move it to positive logic somehow to be sure all RF switches are actually being reported properly. I was surprised phasetek still had the diagrams I needed. Saved me a lot of head scratching. Thanks to Kurt Gorman at Phasetek.
Mark Brockmeyer
KMA Engineering
Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

Phasetek (and CSP and Vector Technologies before it) have used that same basic controller design for decades. I'm not a fan either.

Last one I ran across ended up with 24VDC slave relays fed from the contactor microswitches so I could attach a little LED to one set of contacts and see what was really going on.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com