Barix - pros / cons / which to use

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
MichaelRose
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Barix - pros / cons / which to use

Post by MichaelRose »

Greetings!

I currently run an internet based T-1 into a (aprox.) 20-year old Harris Intraplex as my STL. This is a separate circuit from my regular internet service at both studio and transmitter locations. The monthly charge is too much, so I need to know where to go. If I were to get rid of the T-1 expense, what are my options?

Do I need (or should I have) a separate internet connection to deliver audio, or are you using the same internet feed at each location? I would think a separate line is beneficial, in case someone decides to stream Netflix on the office connection. It won't bog down my audio feed (or am I thinking old technology here?).

Barix is an inexpensive solution - but which model would be best for my situation? I need back and forth (stereo audio to and from the transmitter site).
Should I be looking at something else, other than Barix?

I would love to install a pair of Armstrongs, but height prevents that kind of installation.

Thank you!
Michael
Deep Thought

Re: Barix - pros / cons / which to use

Post by Deep Thought »

Friends don't let friends use Barix for STLs. They are sometimes OK for remotes and other non-critical applications but they really are not designed for reliable performance over the long term. And then there is that whole unbalanced audio thing.

If you want to do this, use a Comrex BRIC-Link. It costs more upfront but will save you thousands of dollars worth of downtime and aggravation later.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com
MichaelRose

Post by MichaelRose »

Thanks for the advice on the BRIC-Link. I will consider aiming in that direction.
ChuckG

Post by ChuckG »

Quite a few stations in this area are using Barix for STL applications. They work as well as your internet. They have absolutely no
fault tolerance, so any hiccup along the way will affect your audio. They tend to occasionally lock up and need to be power cycled. Putting them on a UPS seems to help somewhat. Figure 2-4 years service life before they just up and die.
Plusses: They are cheap, work 90% of the time and don't sound bad.
The money spent on better equipment is worth it.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin
www.northwoodstech.com
DaveSt

Post by DaveSt »

I know stations using the Tieline Bridge-IT and getting good results. The Bridge-IT EXTRA has APT-X if latency is a worry, plus FEC. They have an LCD, so you get some idea of what is going on without a connected PC.