computer dropping off network

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
TPT

computer dropping off network

Post by TPT » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:06 am

HP windows 10 box. Runs automation, luckily programming is off satellite so handles mostly spots. However, we need it on the network to drop in logs, spots and internet access for pulling news, sports off FTP sites.

Will not stay connected to the network. We had an adapter--USB device to provide network interface (used with an old Storck system) --does it with this device.

So--question is--hardware or software problem? Tech suspects notorious Windows 10 updates, suggests we swap out hard drive with new OS install.

I thought it might be motherboard (the network interface, like most PC's--is pat of the motherboard)--but that would not explain why the USB device shows same problem.

w9wi

Re: computer dropping off network

Post by w9wi » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:56 am

Power management?

Hams have been reporting issues with ports being turned off by Windows when it (wrongly) concludes they aren't in use.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

spareparts

Post by spareparts » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:01 pm

The forced upgrade to 1809 (Redstone 5) seems to have included all the network problems from the 1803 (April) updates that everyone skipped.
If you have a restore point set, my suggestions would be to roll back.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:58 pm

When did 1809 come out? I have a 10 unit that has had some kind of connectivity problem the last 3 weeks.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

spareparts

Post by spareparts » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:20 am

I'm not seeing an official release date on 1809. I had a handful of W10 boxes pick it up. Users are stating it updated on it's own.

1803 has it's own bunch of issues with network connectivity. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ho ... 18-update/

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:08 pm

The OP mentioned it was a USB device. Depending on driver and hardware I usually make sure that the power can't be inadvertantly powered down by the computer.
port-power.png
port-power.png (16.88 KiB) Viewed 404 times
I was having a problem with other hardware failing until I disabled this setting across all the USB ports.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

TPT

Post by TPT » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:32 pm

No, we initially had a problem with the regular network interface port connection to the network. The USB device was left over from an old Storck install--the NIC in that computer went bad, so we used that device for a network connectoruntil the Storck box went back to WWOne. So we tried the USB device--same symptoms. This computer is only 5 feet from our switch, so tried using a CAT5 jumper directly into the switch (to eliminate wiring problems). No joy.

Sounds like a Windows 10 update (or--more accurately--denigration) causing driver problems.

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:44 am

Also found that we can't uninstall the last Windows update. Looks like re-installing the OS.

Expect a memo any day from Microshaft suggesting we buy the "ultra-pro" version of Windows 10 for only $699.99--yearly subscription!

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:07 am

That would be windows 10 enterprise, which now has all the features you used to get in pro...(and that theyve been quietly removing from pro)
TPT wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:44 am
Expect a memo any day from Microshaft suggesting we buy the "ultra-pro" version of Windows 10 for only $699.99--yearly subscription!
I just uninstalled windows 10 from my laptop, went back to 7. 10 was randomly (Everytime I really needed to get something done on it) using 100% disk activity and it was unusable. Tried a number of fixes from killing certain services to upgrading SSD drivers and checking firmware. No dice.

Sorry, but windows 10 is garbage. they keep taking out features from PRO, they reinstall "Apss" and change your settings with every update (that you have little control over when they are installed, you can defer them for up to 60 days max I believe). I will be keeping my automation on 7 as long as possible....

Geez I sound like those XP holdouts now that didn't want to let xp go...well I don't blame them at Vista, but 7 was, and still is, pretty great, and stable.

10 is a POS, and a PITA.......

End Rant/

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:41 am

Nathaniel Steele wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:07 am
Sorry, but windows 10 is garbage. they keep taking out features from PRO, they reinstall "Apss" and change your settings with every update (that you have little control over when they are installed, you can defer them for up to 60 days max I believe).
Don't have my notes handy, but changing the wired NIC to a "metered" connection prevents/prevented the updates from downloading and unanticipated reboots.
Nathaniel Steele wrote:
I will be keeping my automation on 7 as long as possible....
Same here, but in my regular 9-to-5 the newer hardware has no Win7 drivers and you have to install 10, which I have no love for at all!
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:43 am

Nathaniel Steele wrote:
Geez I sound like those XP holdouts now that didn't want to let xp go...well I don't blame them at Vista, but 7 was, and still is, pretty great, and stable.
For my own computers and those that I maintain at work I was long an XP Pro holdout, but have become a 7 Pro holdout.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:22 am

Looked into folding back to 7, but this was a refurb computer.

Got an external ss drive, installed new os on it, then transferred over the files we needed. Appears to be stable--at least until the next time Microsoft finds a way to start installing updates.