WIN 7 is auto-adjusting my LINE IN input levels. How to disable?

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
acannon420

WIN 7 is auto-adjusting my LINE IN input levels. How to disable?

Post by acannon420 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:20 am

So I'm still on WIN 7 (moving to 10 next year.)

I do a lot of voicetracking thru various GUIs/browsers for a handful of radio stations. I am having an issue w/ WIN -7 in cahoots with CHROME, and automatically adjusting my INPUT levels, and dropping them farther than I wanted.

1) I've already UNCHECKED the box for "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device," in the ADVANCED tab for the LINE IN.
2) I've also hit the COMMUNICATIONS tab and selected "DO NOTHING" for the 'When windows detects communications activity,' and that too make no difference.

I've found this happen on not only CHROME, but Microsoft Edge as well. PLEASE, there's gotta be a way to DISABLE this. This braintrust has ALWAYS solved these issues for me. Hoping for the same!

Thanks....

ChuckG

Re: WIN 7 is auto-adjusting my LINE IN input levels. How to disable?

Post by ChuckG » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:23 am

I chased that one for a few days..then turned Skype off. Problem went away. Check anything running that has access to the mixer....
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

acannon420

Post by acannon420 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Nope.... not a SKYPE issue. While I have it, I never leave it running, and I ALWAYS uncheck the box about letting it automatically adjust my MIC. So, I'm back to the starting point again. Where I'm having this issue, is with CHROME, FIREFOX and even MS EDGE wanting access to my mic (which all need for my work.) My only options in the browser are to not allow it access. I need to find if there's a way to disable the feature in the browsers that adjust that, (which I simply cannot find,) or disable that in WINDOWS so that WIN7 wont' allow programs to adjust the levels.

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:28 pm

Are you turning Skype off by just closing the window or right-clicking on the icon in the systray and selecting Quit Skype? It’s still running if you just close the window. Unchecking the box in the Skype audio settings is iffy. It may work if you’re lucky.

We’ll keep thinking.
Mike Shane, CBRE
-Omaha-

acannon420

Post by acannon420 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:55 pm

No ..I've completely shut it down.... absolutely NO Skype related applications, processes, or services that are in any way SKYPE related. Still the same.

Here's what I know. I do VOICEOVER work thru a few different web-based GUIs for radio stations. Each of these are different in their own operation, but in the end do the same thing. Record my audio, pair it w/ other audio remotely. I mainly use CHROME for these as it's my default browser. CHROME has access to my MIC/LINE-IN. Occasionally I'll have a company's system that doesn't like CHROME, so I keep Firefox & MS Explorer on hand.
Most of these web-based GUIs I'm on simply accept the audio levels I have set in WINDOWS and works fine. I have a new client and their GUI will certainly accept my audio, but if for some reason it "thinks" it's too loud, it'll "adjust" my input levels in the WIN mixer DOWN. I can actually WATCH it happen. It's frustrating.
So I'm making the bold assumption that there's some "mechanism," or control that is shared across from the browser in use, to the Windows 7 audio mixer. The only control settings I can find in any browser is only allowing ACCESS to the MIC/LINE IN is simply ACCESS or DENY.
So I would think, or at least hope by now.... someone has figure out how to either keep access to the MIC/LINE-IN for the browser, but stop it from auto adjusting...... OR, on the WINDOWS side, allow the browser to send those commands, but IGNORE them in WINDOWS and don't adjust WIN audio input.

Yes, I'm still on WIN-7. YES I'm looking to upgrade early next year. But this is what I have NOW. Would like to find a solution. THANKS again for any further thoughts and suggestions.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:37 am

I'd try running chrome in a sandbox to see if that blocks access to the volume controls.
If that fails, contacting the developer of the offending web app might get you an update or workaround.
I don't think this can be disabled in the browser, or blocked. Can't find a thing that would allow for it.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:32 am

Which GUI exhibits the problem?
Mike Shane, CBRE
-Omaha-

acannon420

Post by acannon420 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:36 am

Shane wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:32 am
Which GUI exhibits the problem?
It's ENCO's WebDAD 19.0a.290

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:48 am

I suspected. Have you talked to ENCO?
Mike Shane, CBRE
-Omaha-

acannon420

Post by acannon420 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 am

That is currently underway. I'm working on planning a call now.
I've seen the same situation with GOOGLE HANGOUTS in the past when I used to use it a lot for calls. There are other tracking GUIs that DON'T do this.... Playout One's webVT won't adjust levels.
Is there anything on the WINDOWS 7 end of all this that would disable or ignore those commands from a GUI regarding audio levels? The only obvious options from the browser end are to allow or deny use of the audio device.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:56 am

acannon420 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 am

Is there anything on the WINDOWS 7 end of all this that would disable or ignore those commands from a GUI regarding audio levels?
Probably not without disabling them globally. It likely addresses the same driver every other audio device on the computer uses.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin