Microsoft Outlook problems?

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
TPT

Microsoft Outlook problems?

Post by TPT »

I don't use it, our e-mail provider has a simple interface. But my business partner and our Microsoft indoctrinated office manager insist on using it, completely impossible to get them to think of using anything else.

Which is causing problems, since Outlook has been locking up, acting strange. Today we had to scramble when payroll info never got sent to the accountant--Outlook ate it.

I suspect the perennial problem of Microsoft "updates" (i.e.--downgrades!). Anyone else seen this?
Deep Thought

Re: Microsoft Outlook problems?

Post by Deep Thought »

I use Outlook "365" now but have used it under various versions for years. The only time I've had a problem is when the *.pst file became corrupt due to a hard disk issue about 12 years ago.

Are you using it as POP3 or IMAP for inbound? Also, what are you using for outbound SMTP? Are you sure your provider is set up properly?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com
TPT

Post by TPT »

We use Rackspace for e-mail, rarely have any problems--and when there is a problem seems to be their problem. In fact, have link on another computer (same network) for my business partner's house e-mail which I've had to resort to when Outlook wouldn't let him in.
W9PXZ

Post by W9PXZ »

Deep Thought wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:34 pm I use Outlook "365" now but have used it under various versions for years. The only time I've had a problem is when the *.pst file became corrupt due to a hard disk issue about 12 years ago.

Are you using it as POP3 or IMAP for inbound? Also, what are you using for outbound SMTP? Are you sure your provider is set up properly?
Using MS365 for your mail is cheaper than you might think and it will be full Exchange support. One feature that they do not often mention is that if your domain is managed by Go Daddy, purchase the Office 365 Home subscription @$99/yr (shop around, frequently you can find discounts) and you can have Outlook.com host your domain mail and the cost is included with the software subscription. At least for home users.

Even paying for it as a business account, it is ~$45/year per mailbox. Its is what I'm using for my mail. I have done the whole gamut from running my own mail server to having a hosting company do it, but the Microsoft Exchange method gets me full Exchange support for what to me is a low cost.

I do agree that using Outlook without running Exchange on the back end is overkill. You are only using half of what Outlook can do. I like having my calendar and contacts populate out to my phone all by themselves.

If your colleagues are diehard Outlook fans, something to consider.
Mike Dinger
Wilmington, NC
TPT

Post by TPT »

With Rackspace we are only paying about $30/year per active e-mail address, not sure what our mailbox total could be with the present account.
The Outlook problem I suspect is something connected with the notorious Microsoft updates. Program will lock up, not allow e-mail to be sent or other problems. Seems to cure with a computer reboot, but a nuisance.
NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

TPT wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:31 pm With Rackspace we are only paying about $30/year per active e-mail address, not sure what our mailbox total could be with the present account.
The Outlook problem I suspect is something connected with the notorious Microsoft updates. Program will lock up, not allow e-mail to be sent or other problems. Seems to cure with a computer reboot, but a nuisance.
I've used Outlook for over a decade and never had any issue to that level of it. Always just very low level stuff Are you running some sort of anti virus software on the machine that may be attempting to filter out and block sent emails? I've seen 3rd party anti virus software wreak havok on professional applications like Outlook.
What is your OS?
Also what version of outlook are you running?
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer/Tower Photographer
Boston area.
https://www.necrat.us, https://www.scan-ne.net/

"If you don’t think you’re good, nobody else will" - Tom Laun (RIP)."
TPT

Post by TPT »

Malwarebytes, Windows 10, need to check on outlook version
Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

TPT wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:31 pm The Outlook problem I suspect is something connected with the notorious Microsoft updates.
I doubt it. I have never had an update screw with Outlook. I am also running Malwarebytes (4.1.0) and Win10Pro.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com