Mini PC for Burk AutoPilot?

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
w9wi

Mini PC for Burk AutoPilot?

Post by w9wi »

Recommendations for a mini-PC to run a transmitter status display?
It's going to need to hang off the back of a wall-mounted HDMI monitor & run Burk AutoPilot.

Thanks!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
TPT
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mini PC for Burk AutoPilot?

Post by TPT »

I've used several for "monitor drivers"--we have the new STORQ system which is accessible over the in-house network by browser, I just use these to run the monitor & give me access to the satellite program when I need it. They are around $150 on Amazon. Most have both cgi and hdmi outputs for the monitor, and a limited number of USB ports--just enough for keyboard and mouse.

Major problem I've found is limited storage capacity. Which one would think wouldn't be a problem where you don't need to store very much data...but I've run into problems with Windows10 updates trying to stuff them too full of useless junk like various games.
Nathaniel Steele
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nathaniel Steele »

dell optiplex 7040's. Sometimes you can find i3's for under 200, but I got all my i5's under 300. they typically are running windows 10, have a 128 or 256 GB ssd in them, 4-8GB of RAM, Display port and HDMI (both of which can convert to VGA with a $4 adaptor, and some have optional vga. some have wifi too. I believe dell made a bracket to attach to the back of a monitor, but a couple strips of industrial strength velcro would hold one too.

I've been replacing office desktops with these, there small and quiet, and as long as you don't need add-in cards they're great. power supply is an external 19V line lump.
Tim Burke
Forum Jedi

Post by Tim Burke »

I like the Intel NUCs - https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC10i3FNK ... 087D4Q11L/ This is the newest gen, but there are other options that are lower cost with older-generation CPU.

I use these for miscellaneous kiosk-type displays... relatively inexpensive, has native HDMI and ethernet, and comes with a Win10 license. We stick them to the back of a wall-mounted TV using high quality velcro.
radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 »

Look for a Dell Micro or a Lenovo Tiny. Both have VESA mounting brackets to attach them to the back of the monitor.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
coremans

Post by coremans »

Go for an Intel NUC, they proved to be stable
carver

Post by carver »

i used rpi4 for kiosk. works great. as far as I remember, can add video, pictures and html there. I think this is the cheapest TCO.

also I think that for HTML - any Ogange/Pi/Odroid for 5-10 dollars is suitable, but I need hardware video decoding, it work bad on 10-20USD boards, board OK - bad linux software, so select rpi.
/carv
w9wi

Post by w9wi »

We ended up using a Dell Micro. Some had been purchased for lightweight office use & we grabbed one for this application.

We do use some Raspberry Pis for web-based display applications & they work very well. However, it's unlikely we could get AutoPilot to run on a Pi.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
velvet

Post by velvet »

I recently put a Dell ChromeBook, (with their ethernet dongle) at the AM site. Original purpose was to add visibility to the Burk R/C to simplify routine checks and calibrations without having to haul a laptop through a quarter mile of deep snow on foot.

Turns out it also makes a good backup for the front panel display on the Nautel NX25 (which hasn't failed and probably never will because there is a backup in place).

In addition, taking the station's stream (originates at the studio miles away) through an expensive limiter thence into the backup analog audio input of the NX provides a cheap backup to the STL which has a spotty history though was recently completely updated.

My primary religious belief: "That for which one is prepared will NEVER happen".
ncradioeng

Post by ncradioeng »

My primary religious belief: "That for which one is prepared will NEVER happen".

Yes. Always get a spares kit for the transmitter so you will never need it.
These users thanked the author ncradioeng for the post:
DaveSt (Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:24 pm)
rrlane

Post by rrlane »

Azulle Byte.
https://shop.azulle.com/products/byte4? ... 8104482990

I'd recommend 8gb ram and a bigger hard drive