USB Keyboards/Mice for Studio

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
Slab Bulkhead

USB Keyboards/Mice for Studio

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Any suggestions for good USB keyboards and mice that work well in a studio application and stand up to jock abuse?

Jim Sofonia

Re: USB Keyboards/Mice for Studio

Post by Jim Sofonia » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 pm

I've been using HP mice with good results. I know a lot of HP stuff isn't that good, but the mouse they sell at Best Buy runs with no problem . The batteries seem to last forever, well over a year. Give one a try. These are wireless of course.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:51 pm

DO NOT use more than one wireless keyboard/mouse in the same studio!

I came in to work one day to find someone had, for aesthetic reasons, replaced seven wired keyboards/mice in the studio with seven wireless units. After about two hours' work I was able to get each keyboard/mouse paired with the right computer.

Two weeks later, we took a power bump. :(
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:36 am

w9wi wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:51 pm
For years I have run multiple Logitech devices with their Unifying software in the house without conflict (I sometimes have as many as four computers running at once). I think the key is to set them up one at a time with only one wireless receiver running at a time to make pairing easy. They have no problems recovering from power outages or laptop boot-ups because each USB receiver is paired with specific devices, and all machines come up communicating with only their own devices.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:02 am

In our live studio I try to replace the keyboards periodically. Not so much because of jock abuse, but they just get grungy after a while. Simpler to get another clean, new but cheap keyboard.

grich

Post by grich » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 pm

w9wi wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:51 pm
And make the jocks set up a battery replacement schedule. One of my clients insisted on a wireless keyboard for their automation. They got REALLY lucky...the keyboard died at the end of the playoff football game broadcast this year. They called me, I remoted in and rolled their end break for them.