STORQ Users--Look at the new Storq 2

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
TPT

STORQ Users--Look at the new Storq 2

Post by TPT » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:03 pm

The current STORQ units will be replaced with a Wegener I-Pump (not the current 1RU model but a new 2RU model) which will be hybrid satellite and HTTP connected. The unit will control up to 8 formats using an internal hard drive.

We were skeptical at first but it works much better than the older, original STORQ units ( the big rack mounted computers). Since the automation interface is accessed over your local network (instead of a hard wired monitor feed) you can control it from any studio using a browser.

We've kept our original Simian automation since we run a number of different syndicated programs, although I think you could just use this system with a basic 24/7 music format without much toruble. When the format was installed our local lines were installed on the system (like the older STORQ).
Last edited by TPT on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckG

Re: STORQ Users--Downgrade coming

Post by ChuckG » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:05 pm

I just put one of those new Ipumps in service to replace a failed 1RU Ipump. FWIW the capacitors are what failed in the old receiver, small enclosure with an undersized fan... not my favorite receiver.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Do they (the iPump—is that an awful name or what?) switch according to schedule (if being used that way)?

I have a 1RU unit that’s been back to the factory once but which I still can’t trust to switch to the correct channel or feed the right program by the web-based scheduler. This is on Salem, BTW. IDK if the scheduler is a Salem thing or a Wegener thing but it’s pretty awful, too, especially compared to the relatively more user-friendly XDS.

Any other observations?
-Mike Shane- -Omaha-

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Is the STORQ system being totally retired then? It had a pretty good run.
-Mike Shane- -Omaha-

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:38 am

We've been using the original screen design for several months...should be getting a revision shortly. Like the new screen appearance, but haven't had a chance to see what else has changed. Think the basic operation will be the same.

The current version of the satellite doesn't have a monitor connection (would would not make sense since the receiver can handle several formats at once). Instead you use a browser on station network --which allows you to view the on-air automation program as well as control (stop and start & jump around the log, for example). I like seeing what the system is doing when I walk into a control room. So I bought a little mini computer to drive a monitor in one of our control rooms & just leave it connected to that feed. We already had a second computer in the other studio, so it is a bookmark on the browser for that computer.
Last edited by TPT on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:13 pm

Op-X would have been right up your alley since you are/were a BSI user. Makes sense that they might TRY to use an in-house product, as it were.

Also makes sense - if sense is the right word - that they have no one who knows the STORQ system well. They either canned them or ticked them off. Most of the knowledge of that system was here in Omaha, when Waitt Radio Networks was still operating here.
-Mike Shane- -Omaha-

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:17 pm

Shane wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 pm
Do they (the iPump—is that an awful name or what?) switch according to schedule (if being used that way)?

I have a 1RU unit that’s been back to the factory once but which I still can’t trust to switch to the correct channel or feed the right program by the web-based scheduler. This is on Salem, BTW. IDK if the scheduler is a Salem thing or a Wegener thing but it’s pretty awful, too, especially compared to the relatively more user-friendly XDS.

Any other observations?
Westwood uses a web based "show director" for the Ipumps, I bet salem is similar. You make your selections, get an "approval" back via email.
It feeds channel changes to the receiver in real time. We've missed them when the receiver was faded temporarily due to snow, etc. XDS is a much better box all around.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 pm

I don’t get an approval. The interface we have is closer to the XDS than what you describe. It’s mainly a lot less convenient. Doesn’t convert to local time, for instance, requiring mental gymnastics for every stinking hour of every program.

Salem was early onto the iPump. That could be part of the problem.
-Mike Shane- -Omaha-

TPT

New STORQ 2--seems to work fine

Post by TPT » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:01 am

I'm still keeping our independent Simian system--our programming is too complicated. But then I like redundancy. Also don't miss either the long "pizza box" I-pump or the big rack mount computer with the original STORQ system--neither would fit in a standard rack.

You may need to put an in-line attenuator on the satellite feed, especially if you use a distribution amp off your dish. We have four receivers fed by our dish--two WWOne, one United Stations, one Premiere. We had too much level on the Wegener--and not enough on the XDS for Premiere. Oh well, easier to pad down, than try get more signal. Amazon has these in line pads--I had some old Radio Shack ones...as I remember had the same problem with Starguide receivers in the past.

Back panel is crowded--so be sure and use a trouble light. Couldn't get a test feed one time( setting up for the Superbowl, as I remember) turns out had the audio connected to wrong port.

Another tip. Uses a opto-isolated port for a return command (i.e.--"start next") to the receiver's built in automation. Since we run the local spots off the Simian automation, we use Simian's relays to provide this command most of the time. I added a push button mounted on a blank panel in the console which paralleled this pair, Makes it easier on the board operators running remote broadcasts. We run the scheduled spots off Simian, go to the remote, then when the talent stops talking the board op just pushes the button to start the music.
Last edited by TPT on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Design like this new iPump was put there to annoy operator and engineer. Mother Wegener strikes again. A shame that WWOne could not get BSI OpX to work well together.

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:05 pm

They say they will three different configurations coming out. The simple one is based on the I-pump receiver, with music on the internal hard drive and program blocks loaded periodically. Interface through a web browser, but it allows one to see the upcoming log & make changes--deleting elements, adding elements, etc. However, if you have another network (example--we run classic rock, but carry the Steelers), then you need another system downstream to handle that net.

The next level still relies primarily on the receiver, but provides an app for an outboard computer that emulates some op-X features. This would also handle those other "outside" network programs. These two systems are in the field, but not for all formats yet.

The highest level system uses an actual OP-X computer with the satellite serving mainly as a source. Appears similar to our present set-up where we use the STORQ as a source, with our local spots and news content coming through Simian.

Note that they are still using the STORQ name, but the actual STORQ systems as now exist will be phased out.

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Very interesting...one of my client stations just commissioned a new WIN7 based Storq system last month...Not my favorite program delivery system, but they work. I was a little confused that they sent one, as another station in the group running the same format had moved off the Storq onto the iPump. I have a couple of stations that use Storq for local content as well as program delivery, and some that use Storq along side the normal local automation system.

Kevin

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:01 pm

I kept Simian in line for both our stations. We carry Delilah on one station in the evenings, and another show--Mike Harvey--on the weekends. On the other station we take an internet feed for a morning show (off a Barix) and Alice Cooper at night off satellite. As well as Steelers during football. Like the older STORQ system, it will keep "doing its thing" while you are on separate programing, so we just rejoin after the other syndicated programing is done. Both our consoles have faders that can be turned on and off remotely by the automation system.

We've been lucky with snow this winter--even though with the new satellite the dish is aimed much higher. Of course, since the system goes to internet if there is a signal interruption hasn't been a problem. Remember the music is already in-house, they just download tracks, so internet doesn't need to be super high capacity. But it is best to have both satellite and internet. Had a windstorm not long ago, lost internet for several hours.

Last bumped by TPT on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:01 pm.