Arrakis Automation

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
knoxbob

Arrakis Automation

Post by knoxbob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Anyone here running with any of the newer Arrakis automation software...either the Digilink-HD or Extreme..Any pros or cons with these systems?

Bill DeFelice

Re: Arrakis Automation

Post by Bill DeFelice » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Well, the first con is the name Arrakis. I had used Digilink years ago and, personally, I think you can do much better - even with a low-cost solution such as StationPlaylist Pro.

I don't know whatever became of Prophet's Player101 but that was a system I had considered more than once but for various reasons I never ended up moving on at the various facilities I had been involved with.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:12 am

Well, the first con is the name Arrakis.
C’mon, Bill. Don’t hold back. Tell us how you really feel! :wink:
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 am

I must be "the Lone Ranger" here. I installed a 5 studio Digilink back in the early 90's and interfaced it to a business system. Additionally, we had "live assist" panels in three of the (4) 22,000 series consoles. The station was completely rewired for the install, and the addition of the second FM station) which was co-located with a 3 twr DA-2 5kw AM, and two class A (6kw) FM's.

We didn't have any RF problems, and the Digilinks were very reliable. Only serious issue I ever recall was one studio ended up with a bad hard drive, which Arakkis replaced.

Consoles also very reliable, except for those VCA chips, which when replaced with current design chips, eliminated failure problems. Even had an announcer dump a big coke in one board. Took me 1.5 hours to get there, but we got lucky.....no damage and got it cleaned up real fast. Boards arebstill operational, Digilink has since been replaced with two other different systems after many years of good service.

Or were we just lucky???

Fossil

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 am

I don’t think you’re alone, Bob. My company used to install Arrakis boards until they started to favor the engine/surface networked stuff ten or fifteen years ago. They got some good life out of those.

Our chief here doesn’t like them but his dad used to spec and install them and I think he said Dad didn’t have a problem with them. They disagreed on that point.

Coffee- and coke-proof do have something to recommend themselves. But I speak through my hat since in almost 50 years I have never used nor installed any Arrakis products.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:04 am

The Arrakis console issues, and we still have 5 of them in service, is almost always that VCA chip. Even with good grounding they fail. An online UPS stopped the failures, at least so far.
I know of two DigiLink DL4 systems still on-air and chugging along. I had to repair the switcher on one, the other is all original. As much as I would like to, I really can't say anything bad about that sort of reliability.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

knoxbob

Post by knoxbob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks for all you input...I know someone who ran one of the older Digilink systems around 2000 and his only complaint was customer service..When they had a problem it would take forever to get a reply back or a return call. Hopefully that has improved.